Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had 2x250w MH 20k xm bulbs for almost a year now with out any other supplemental lighting and everything has been great. I switched these bulbs out for what i believe are some 12k (not sure of brand and they are used). I have noticed my orange cap and brown cap seems to be bleaching out a little but the superman monti has never looked better. also noticed that my gorgonian frequently closes for a few min, then reopens and it has never done that before. is everything just getting used to the new light, or do i need actinics to get back my blue spectrum???? i am confused.

basically im wondering if you need supplemental actinic lighting with 10-14k MH

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
there higher par from the lower kalvin bulbs has caused them to bleach. put some window screen on top of your tank and remove one sheet a week until they are acclimated to the more intense light. actinic supplement is not needed, but does more than asthetics, its a 420-460nm light that makes proteins in the colors become flourescent, gives the tank a bluer look overall also.

jake

·
Registered
721 Posts
You don't need the actinics. The lower kelvin bulbs could be putting out more PAR and causing issues. This would make sense based on the superman liking high light and monti caps being more mid-light corals.

Did you do anything to acclimate the corals to the new light?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
You do not need them however changing bulbs can change the par value and corals can be bleached by a higher par value. Generally the lower the Kelvin rating the higher the PAR.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh i see. as far as aclimation, i moved some of the corals down from the top to the middle but i cant get the cap any lower that it was. think i might try the window screen idea, how many should i start with?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Window screens work, but a much easier solution is raising your lights up. Sometimes that is not possible, if that is true, start about 8 screens and remove one every 2nd or 3rd day.

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts