Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
actually, anglerfish are in the order Lophiiformes, frogfish are in the family within the order Lophiiformes

stonefish are within the scorpion order Scorpaeniformes family Synanceiidae

they are only related on the class level-Actinopterygii.

so no, they arn't venomous:)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, mhltcob!

My husband recently saw a special on venomous creatures and told me I'd better "watch out for the monster fish" because the show inferred that anglers were venomous to lesser or greater degree. I've found nothing else to support venomous anglers but figured someone here would know. I'm pretty careful with them for their own safety already, not to mention I've seen what their teeth do to the feeding stick but it's good to know they aren't venomous. I like to know if it's safe to grab my fish off the floor and throw them back into the tank bare-handed should they jump out. Not to say there's much danger of that with my anglers, they are pretty inactive to say the least.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
my first response was poorly worded, this is a little easier to see.

Frogfish (the anglers we typically see in home aquariums)
Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Lophiiformes
Family: Antennariidae

Stonefish
Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Scorpaeniformes
Family: Synanceiidae

so they are both ray finned fish (so are half of all living vertebrates) and teleost, but that is as closely related as they get.

I've seen people say they are venomous before on other forums, not sure where this got started, probably because of their similar looks to leaffish and stonefish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts