Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten away without a chiller for years in my 100 glass.

My Acrylic runs a little hotter, though.

Are there a lot of reefers using chillers out there?

What are the benefits and drawbacks besides constant temp and electricity usage?

Are they worth the money?

What size wattage should I look for if I have 300g of volume?

Potential disasters?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
960 Posts
I use a 1/2 ton heater/chiller combo all in one and love it !
http://www.myreefcreations.com/chiller_heat.htm
It keeps up with 4 400 mh on my 500 gal , with centeral air on! So on a smaller tank say 300 gal it mite be over kill by you wouldnt need the air on:rolleyes: After haveing it i would not go back to not haveing it ! I use 4 fans also to get the heat away from the tank from the Mh ;) The biggest reason i got one was i have 10 times the cost of the chiller in the tank so it only makes since to me ! If i did have the Mh on the tank and so many corals i would have skimped on it ! I went 2 years with out it but dont come home to no lights on any more due to the tank temp getting to high and my ac JR truning the lights off ! If you have some way to remove the heat/ turn off lights auto if heat gets to high than you can get by with little worrys but , if not than you mite want to look into a controler , say neptune,acjr and so on , if not a chiller , if you have alot off heat prolbem ! My prolbem were alot worse than i new befor the acjr was installed , since i can see the time log with it i no were the temp, ph was all the time ! just ideas but not needed !

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'm running a 1/3 Hp Arctica chiller on my 225g. I would recommend at least this size for a 300g. If I had it to do over, I'd get the 1/2 Hp Arctica. Of course, my tank runs hotter than most as I do not have fans in my canopy (3 - 400W MHs) and have two closed loops which also generate some heat. I love the fact that I never have to worry about tank temps. Our tank runs 78-80°F regardless of ambient temps.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I think it really depends on how well you control the temps of your house in the summer time. For me, my house is not air conditioned in the summer so a chiller is an absolute must.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's in it's own room in the basement. Two walls are against poured concrete, one is an outside wall and one is shared with another room. Right now I run at 80 without the heaters on. So I figure the summer might kick it up some. I also don't have the light setup I'm going to have for sps and that's going to kick it up some. Sounds like I'm going to need one. Thanks for the information!!!

Tom

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
I have always been able to get away without a chiller, just using fans, and a window air conditioner when it gets real hot. Summer temps typically run 82-84 in the summer.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I run an acrylic 55 without one under halides. I run air in the summer which helps me sleep:D and for the fish too. I do have to run a fun in my cabinet and one that runs across underneath the lights. I'm sure in a basement you'll be fine.

·
Registered
629 Posts
slapshot said:
Fans and a basement filter system. With my Neptune I keep the temperature within 2 tens of a degree year round.
I agree. The basement add-on is a cheap way to do it. It adds water volume for a more stable system and the increased surface of the extra tank increases cooling capacity drastically.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have a window in there...yet. I was actually kicking around the idea of a humidistically controlled fan(if there is one) and punching a good size hole in the outside wall to vent it. This is only a 8' x 18' room with no heat and no window.

My 100 glass has never needed a chiller, but I've heard acrylic has a insulating effect compared to glass and tends to hold the heat better...or worse.:)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Alot of it is the ambient room temps like mentioned. In our old condo our chiller ran a few times a day on our 220 (was in the basement there). When we mvoed to our house this past summer, using the same setup my chiller does not run at all, tank is still in the basement. Just a larger area and closer to a window.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts