Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My previous top off setup consisted of an Oceanus Systems Atlas top off with dual solenoids and triple float sensors in the sump. One shuts off top off circuit if sump level gets too high, one maintains proper level, and one shuts off return pump if water gets too low. So, water came from the house water line, into RO/DI and Atlas top off and into sump. Nice and neat. No resevoir. I was told by several people not to do this, because if the sutoff sensor fails, water would just keep on running, floooding the sump and dramaticlly lowering ph. Not Good. I felt good about my setup though due to the redundant solenoids and backup floats. No problems. Now the top off broke -alarm won't reset to allow water flow - and the company is no longer in business?-confused So now I need some ideas. My setup evaporates about 5 gallons a day, and I want to avoid having to manually fill a resevoir (my old 20 gallon tank/resvoir needed refilling every four days - and I sometimes have 5 day long trips - so.... WHat are my options now?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I contacted the people at Aqua FX - who are selling the Poseiden version - and they haven't heard anything from him in six months. I was told that he is reorganizing and may reopen - but when? If ever? I was very happy with the unit too.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
That figures.... I have to get mine repaired.

I bought from this place, www.reefwerks.com Don has a sterling reputation on a couple of other boards. No solenoid, and you will need a pump, but for $42 + shipping, it looks like a neat little top off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Personally I like having the resevoir. Made it nice and quick yesterday to do a water change with the water already sitting there heated and ready to go. Toss in the salt and boom, done.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Have you looked into the Spectra-Pure LLC or LLC-M? I set this up on my system about 2 months back. I picked the whole system up at Pruess for around $150 (or there about i don't remember exactly) both Pruess and Spectra-pure have great customer service on set-up and questions on system usages.

I have it running from my house (plumbed off my sink inlet with its own ball valve) into my RO/DI and then out to my sump. a second line runs to two reserve storage tanks. the line into the sump goes to the solenoid and then to a mechanical float switch (backup) and into the sump. This system has worked really well now for top-off and having spare water all the time for water change, etc.

I think you can also use it with a pump and reservoir if you were worried about it over flowing but seems like a real stable system.

Here is a link:

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_alc_p1.htm

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_alc_p2.htm

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
got the whole system (LLC-M) from Choice for $115. Spectrapure sells it direct for $159.00

Any other tubing or valves, connectors, and such can be purchased from Home Depot.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
You can get a $20.00 garden hose timer and run its output to your r/o unit. have it come on once a day to fill your reserve. No more flooding problems but no more filling the reserve.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I would prefer to have a resevoir- as I know that only 20 gallons of freshwater at the most can be dumped into our reef system.

It doesn't need to be the ATO that fails- we had a hose that came off of our chiller and dumped saltwater on the floor- and the ATO of course did it's job and tried to top off dropping water level.

Fortunately other than SW on the floor and a burned out closed loop pump- we did not lose any corals or fish- like we probably would have if it refilled with RO water- it would have been too drastic of a change for the livestock.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
CK1 - If your auto top off is on a timer to run only in the night, for lets say 8 hours and your RO/DI only outputs 60g per day optimum, then you could only dump 20g of fresh water in it over the 8 hours anyway if for some reason the selenoid fails. if however you are out of town for days at a time it still may be an issue. But what happens if all 20g from you res are dumped, and then the ATO decides to refill the res, wouldnt that still produce the same type of disaster?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Resevoir is not connected to RO/DI- it isn't terribly convenient to have to fill it every 3-4 days, but not too bad. It is a 20 gallon High tank that is usually has about 10 gallons of water or so- unless we are going out of town- they we would add more.

The reason that we got the ATO in the first place is that my husband was spilling water on the carpet trying to top off tank- hard to maneuver bucket into canopy or stand. Hmm.....wonder if he was doing that on purpose???

We run our RO/DI into a Brute garbage can- then we have a pump to pump it over to another Brute to mix up saltwater. That way we almost always have RO/DI and SW ready.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Oh ok i see. I might have to re-work mine to something like your CK

·
Registered
111 Posts
I put the float switch in my resevoir and shutoff valve kit on the RO/DI. Resevoir stays topped off just like the tank. Other than water changes, the water system is pretty much touchless. It's a pretty low-cost setup to do away with the hassle of re-filling the reserve.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The thing I liked about my Atlas top off was the dual solenoids. I understand solenoids are normally closed, and need power to open. Are there any available to work the opposite way? So when power is applied, it closes? That way, I could install this second solenoid, connected to a float switch in the sump, to close off the water supply if it got too high. I have found a couple nice top offs that use two floats, so even if BOTH of those failed, I would have a third independent float to close a separate solenoid, shutting off the water. Am I sounding like a mad scientist here?-devil Overkill Maybe?-devil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts