Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am sitting here looking at my new used tank that is 55 gallons that I have decided to turn into the sump/refugium instead of the 30 gallon. This way I can have it clean a 60 gallon fowlr and a 48 gallon reef. I have figured out how I want it set up. But I have decided I am stumped. How tall should the baffles be? Is there any set height they should be? My pieces are 4 @ 8.5 inches tall and 2 @ 12 inches tall. The tank is 18.5 tall. Are these adequate? Or should I buy different sized pieces? TIA

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I think I will stick with the baffles I have to allow for any overflow issues if the power goes out, especially having two tanks with one sump/refugium. I appreciate you responding so quickly. :)

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I would use 1 fuge for 2 different tanks, but I would make sure the fuge has the same water volume as both tanks combined or close to it.

Cons
1. When power goes off the water in the sump will rise. So you need to worry about the water from both tanks in one sump.
2. If one tank has issues, both tanks will have issues.
3. MAY be unable to keep an SPS tank and a softy tank. SPS require really clean water, and softies prefer the not so clean water.

Pros
1. Don't need to acclimate corals to go from one tank to the other.
2. Should be able to take a tank offline with a ball valve control.
3. Need to topoff only one tank.
4. Less equipment needed to be purchased. (Skimmer, UV, Return Pump, Fuge Lighting, Calcium Reactor, Carbon Reactor... ect)
5. Only need to add additive to one system.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, we decided to not do the two tank sump/refugium. I put the reef in the 55 gallon. But hey, now, we bought a 135 gallon to go up sometime this year after remodeling our home for where we want it to be. So, I have the 48 as the sump/refugium for the 60 gallon fowlr. The reef has softies and lps in it. A couple sps frags. They are doing great so far. I have decided that I will keep it going as is until we get the 135 going and transfer all to it. Well, the reef safe things at least. Then we will go from there. I am going to keep all my plumbing supplies for that time. So, there are definite pros to having one sump/refugium for two tanks as Johnos says. Equipment purchases was one of the things I was thinking about. But in the end, it boils down to what you are keeping I guess. Thanks for all replies, they are very appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts