Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good place in southwest michigan to get some good cheap base rock to seed live rock to. Im in the battle creek kalamazoo area. Or has anyone found a good type of rock to order Ive read about some stuff called tufa rock and a couple others anyone have any thoughts.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I don't know of any place to buy it locally (unless someone has some for sale in the selling forums. Great place to get some great deals) but I have heard good things about both the eco rock that BRS sells, and marco rock. I think you have a few more choices in sizes/shapes with the marco rock, but have heard good things about both.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I LOVE my BRS Eco rock. I received a few super large chunks for my tank anyway. Took a hammer and 1.5 inch chisel to it and BAM nice sized medium pieces that you can't even tell were split.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I don't know of any place to buy it locally (unless someone has some for sale in the selling forums. Great place to get some great deals) but I have heard good things about both the eco rock that BRS sells, and marco rock. I think you have a few more choices in sizes/shapes with the marco rock, but have heard good things about both.
I agree.

Regarding your desire to seed your tank, you do not need base rock to get your biological filtration started. You can use the base rock as structural support, then add a small piece of Live Rock from a fellow reefers system. You will need to wait until your tank is fully cycled before adding any fish, inverts or corals. Patience is key when starting a new system.

James

·
Registered
7 Posts
you could always make your own out of oyster shells and portland cement it takes time and patience but so does everything else in this hobby

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree.

Regarding your desire to seed your tank, you do not need base rock to get your biological filtration started. You can use the base rock as structural support, then add a small piece of Live Rock from a fellow reefers system. You will need to wait until your tank is fully cycled before adding any fish, inverts or corals. Patience is key when starting a new system.

James
Yea thats pretty much what I was trying to say. My plan is to buy some macro type base rock about 100 pounds and then trade a few chunks to a buddy for live rock to take over growth I just said seed for lack of any other term being new. Thanks :happy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts