Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
Okay so I lost my beloved Hawkins and Red Planet to Coral RX dip (<5 min). Some old timers that I communicate with recommend Bayer Advanced pest control - stuff for treating lawns that you can buy at HD or Lowes.

Anyone on here use it? How much do you use per gallon? I am preparing my SPS to transation from my 90 frag to my new 320 im setting up and plan to go through 6 dipping sessions. Unfortunately, the first didnt go as planned.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Okay so I lost my beloved Hawkins and Red Planet to Coral RX dip (<5 min). Some old timers that I communicate with recommend Bayer Advanced pest control - stuff for treating lawns that you can buy at HD or Lowes.

Anyone on here use it? How much do you use per gallon? I am preparing my SPS to transation from my 90 frag to my new 320 im setting up and plan to go through 6 dipping sessions. Unfortunately, the first didnt go as planned.
yes, I dip it all the time. 1 liter is 10 milli and then you dip for about 15 min.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Use it and love it. I like it much better than coral rx, revive and lugols.

Is there a reason you are dipping everything? I might suggest against dipping just because you are transferring tanks. The additional stress could do more harm than good. The Bayer is kinda harsh and multiple dips is probably overkill.

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Just a precuation before the big move. I am going with dry rock and everything brand new. So I dont want anything to slip into the new system. I was going to do 3-5 dips over time. I see stuff come off but not bugs or worms.

I guess I am just anal and with 9K in the new system I dont want anything to go wrong.

Tom

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yes with 4 fairly large peices. that I have been quartinineing for 4 weeks so far. About 450lbs of Dry rock.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Not to mention if your concerned about the rocks being the problem, then you could dip the corals a million times and every time you put them back they will catch the same thing...... I must be missing something

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The 4 watermelon size pieces of Live rock have been in my system for over a year. They are being quartinineing. What that means is that they are in a container that is dark with a heater and airstone. My school of thought is that most coral eating pests will need to feed on coral or will die within 6 weeks. Therefore keeping the live rock for 6 weeks just to make sure that there are not coral eating pests alive to make the transition.

Regarding dipping corals. Think about it. When you buy a sps frag from someone how many times do you think it was dipped before you received? A ton right. With my new system it will be magazine quality and my school of thought is more prevention than anything. You'd be surprised with how many tanks look horrible due to pests and other preventative measures not being executed. My strategy is out of the box but success is profound. Dipping once a week for 6 weeks is a sure fire way to make sure you get pests and any eggs and they have a 5-7 day replication rate.

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to mention if your concerned about the rocks being the problem, then you could dip the corals a million times and every time you put them back they will catch the same thing...... I must be missing something
I set up a 90 gallon system about 6 months ago with only egg create and live rock in the sump. The frags some colonies now will be removed form the 90 and transitioned over to the 320. the live rock in the sump will not be moved. Subsequently the 90 system will be sold as it was only needed to incibate the frags while the 320 was being considered, built and cycled.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Bayer is the onlything I use now. I actually have a full concentrated bottle of Coral Rx, 1 revive, 2 lugols, Levisamol, and several other dips/meds that I should probably list for sale, they cost me a couple hundy when I bought them.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I set up a 90 gallon system about 6 months ago with only egg create and live rock in the sump. The frags some colonies now will be removed form the 90 and transitioned over to the 320. the live rock in the sump will not be moved. Subsequently the 90 system will be sold as it was only needed to incibate the frags while the 320 was being considered, built and cycled.
Ok I understand what your doing, just don't understand the reasoning. If you are going to take the corals out and dip them 6 times and each time return them back to the same tank (the 90 gallon) then what's the point? It seems as though the only dip that would truly be beneficial in prevention would be the final dip before they go into the 320. Dips aren't really productive if they go back to the same tank...... Only If they are being transferred to completely separate systems. So thats why I am wondering why dip them 5-6 times when only on the final dip will they actually be moved to a new system?

I'm not trying to judge what you are doing, I'm just trying to understand the reasons why, that's all.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Also on a completely random note, what do you plan on stocking fish wise?!? That's a huge tank!!! I'd love to hear the fish plans!!!

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Ok I understand what your doing, just don't understand the reasoning. If you are going to take the corals out and dip them 6 times and each time return them back to the same tank (the 90 gallon) then what's the point? It seems as though the only dip that would truly be beneficial in prevention would be the final dip before they go into the 320. Dips aren't really productive if they go back to the same tank...... Only If they are being transferred to completely separate systems. So thats why I am wondering why dip them 5-6 times when only on the final dip will they actually be moved to a new system?

I'm not trying to judge what you are doing, I'm just trying to understand the reasons why, that's all.
parasites dont live on glass and eggcrae but actually on the hosts therefore It is actually very benifical as you are cutting the shelter and food supply- First off all what I seen with Bayer is absolutely 0 problems. Polyps are out in minutes. 2nd y'd be surprised on how many pests people get. If I dip 2 and sm seeing stuff come off that means that there are eggs. Typically if you research pest eggs in reef they usually have 5 day period. Therefore since I am seeing stuff come off then within 6 dipps all sould be gone. These types of pests are on the hosts only and raley travel when you nix them before they are able to lay eggs your prob is gone. on the 4 th dip nothing appears. Now I am spot dipping some of my frags with discoloraiton as a sample. Finally I will dip again during the transition. Stress vs infection - Ill side with stress especially when the measure of stress is relitive and if a sps has polyps out then I would porb. gauge the level low based on my obsservation. So to answer your question dipping between transition is positive but the best way is qT and think of my 90 as a qt. When you qt you either treat the qt or dip multipule times then return to qt and when you have the prob under control move to dispaly which in essence exactly what I am doing with great success with Bayer.

Tom

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I have all of the fish in my 120 that is sold but the buyer was nice enough to let me keep it undil the 320 is delivered and cycled.

The fish is a:

2 yellows Tangs
2 Hippo
1 Fowerli
3 Green chromis
1 Gramma
1 megna peusdo
1 hoverns wrasse
1 6 bar blenny
1 yellow diamond sand shifity thing fish the name is getting by me
1 Sailfin
I lavender midas
1 green target dragonette

Looking for Soho
School of anthias fish

Getting rid of
Flame angel
Coral Beauty

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i believe what Kate is trying to say is...
if you dip a coral and place it back into the same system, wont it just get re-introduced to the same infection? we all understand that the parasite lives on the host, but the parasite must travel some way to get to that host initially. Whatever the means of travel are, the posability that this is occuring at the time the dips are in progress, exists.
i have read where AEFW are found on corals that came from a known clean source, and introduced to a tank free of Acros for over 6 months, only to have this dreaded parasite found thriving in the tank. so do the eggs lay dormaint until a chemical in the SPS are released into the water column? Where did the eggs come from? Too many factors could be considered. i personally go through a series of dips on first arrival, then wait to see if any issues arise that would require action to be taken. otherwise you might be doing more harm than good.
you may wish to consider keeping the 90 for a 3 month Q tank for new arrivals. you never know who would be getting in or selling big Acro colonies.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts