Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
IMHO, heaters are not something one should skimp on. Heaters are one of the worst things in the hobby for causing problems.

I've been happy with the Jager and Cobalt brands. I'd also suggest using two smaller heaters rather than one large one. If one goes bad you'll have less chance of something happening too quickly to handle.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm, i was thinking get 2/ 300 watt ones that way if one died the other could heat the whole tank, but maybe getting 2/ 150's or 200's would be smarter, less likely to cook the fish right?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I agree with fishtail, you shouldn't skimp on heaters, they are a critical area in fish tanks. I usually avoid used ones for my display, they are ok for mixing or a back up but buy a new one for the display. I've even changes them out after a few years.
I used to always use marineland stealth heaters but they don't make them anymore, I think aqueon makes a similar one. Another good option is the titanium style heaters that come with the controller.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you have a gas water heater in your house you have nearly free heat sitting right now. Pex tubing, s simple recirculation pump, and a controller. very easy and will cost less than the replacement cost of those heaters in the long run.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I like Aqueon Pros. I've gotten them pretty cheap from Petco usually after Discover cashback and/or promo codes when Petco does those 25-40% off sales.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you have a gas water heater in your house you have nearly free heat sitting right now. Pex tubing, s simple recirculation pump, and a controller. very easy and will cost less than the replacement cost of those heaters in the long run.
Thanks for posting this.. Does anyone have any idea where to find a "how to" guide for this? I recall seeing one on here before, but I wasn't able to find it.

I've got a water heater 6 feet from my sump and I'd love this!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Thanks for posting this.. Does anyone have any idea where to find a "how to" guide for this? I recall seeing one on here before, but I wasn't able to find it.

I've got a water heater 6 feet from my sump and I'd love this!
Oh boy.

As with every kool-aid moment you should read and understand the risks associated. There was a good discussion regarding this technique on reef central. Diligent searching will yield the best results -

I'm not against it, really. You just need to be comfortable with the what ifs.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, if I get eheim jager, what size?
Should I get the one rated slightly smaller than my tank to avoid potentially fatal over heating (250watt), or get the one rated slightly larger than what I need (300 watt)?

·
Registered
241 Posts
It depends on where in the house the tank is. If it is in the basement go 300, if it is in a warmer part of the house go with the 250.

Two of the 300watt models heat my 300 gallon freshwater with a 100 gallon sump year round with a cold water 24/7 drip sytem

·
Registered
596 Posts
I currently use several Catalina Titanium Heaters with built in controllers. They were fairly inexpensive, and have performed flawlessly. (knock on wood) for 2 years now.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
ok, if I get eheim jager, what size?
Should I get the one rated slightly smaller than my tank to avoid potentially fatal over heating (250watt), or get the one rated slightly larger than what I need (300 watt)?
The potential for overheating isn't going to be determined by those 50 watts.

Ideally you would have minimum two heaters. Watch the length - I know the 300's are (or were anyway) quite long and may not fit where you want them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts