Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Next month I plan on buying new led fixture for my mixed reef mainly LPS but I plan on getting some more SPS. Im currently running a 120w full spectrum led black box. I'd say my tank is just over 3ft long about 2ft deep and 14in wide. Any recommendations out there from the reefing community? BTW I don't want to run bulbs at all.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Evergrow. Reasonably priced and exceptional coral growth. Just make sure you read up on light acclimation and starting with a very low setting and gradually increasing the intensity over 3-6 months or you'll burn all your corals. Some companies sell the same basic light at a marked up price after putting their label on similar chinese lights. Just buy the dial-able Evergrows IMHO.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would check reef radiance lumentek leds, or reef breeders. They are fully programmable to simulate sunrise and sunsets.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would be definitely interested in simulating the sunrise and sunset and being able to program my lighting. Cost won't be such a worry but I don't want to go crazy lol. Thanks for the recommendationsame guys. Keep em coming.

·
Registered
738 Posts
If cost isn't a worry, go with the industry trusted ai's or radions. Another one for the black box's is sbreeflights.com. They are claiming to have a few improvements to the "black box" that others don't.

I personally have ran reefbreeders for the past few years.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha well I did say I didn't want to go crazy and the radions are my definition of doing just that. The AI 52's look great. Are they programmable to simulate weather, sunrise and such?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Ah, crazy to me is a geissman verde or ati sirus. Lol. Yes the ai's will give you simulations like storm, cloud cover, and the sunrise/sunset. I think you would be happy with reef radiance , reefbreeders, or sb reef lights. All have a 36" fixture.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Another one for the black box's is sbreeflights.com. They are claiming to have a few improvements to the "black box" that others don't.
I just ordered one of their sBox basics for our small tank. He has awesome feeeback and lots of users singing praises. I'll give an update after using it a while. On our main tank we have a Kessil A360WE and I wouldn't ever hesitate to buy another if expense wasn't an issue.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
...to simulate sunrise and sunsets.
I would be definitely interested in simulating the sunrise and sunset...but I don't want to go crazy...
Speaking of crazy, anyone have credible data showing a positive outcome to simulating?

It sure looks kewl I suppose. If you're there. with people you need to impress. constantly.

What you are keeping and plan to keep I'd worry more about chemistry.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I already have a lot of lps in the tank with a couple lps frags in it growing. I'm not sure what they are (got em from a friend) but they're growing and I want to get more.

For the tank I have a nice refugium set up a with cheato and culipura? It's growing a bunch with all sorts of pods and bugs down there. I add kalkwasser to my top off water. I don't mix it into every new bucket of RO don't want pH getting out of control. I'm getting good results so far. Anemone has split twice so now I have 3. All my zoas are growing fast. Bam bam, gobstopper, sunny D, eagle eye, fire ice, greenbay, rastas and a couple more. Happy so far with it just want to have a nice led fixture with more options.

Thanks for all your input guys.

·
Registered
122 Posts
+1 on Reefbreeders but after 3 years with zero ventilation they've started melting and if one goes the whole channel goes. So taught myself to solder, bought 100 blue and white 3w LED beads and have been changing them out. Best of both worlds since I get a programable Reef Breeder and I can personalize it with the amount of blue/white lights I want. However, wouldn't recommend this approach till after the warranty. Seeing crazy growth on monti plates, bird of paradise seriatopora and hollywood stunner chalice

·
Registered
224 Posts
AI hydra 26.... started with 2 over my 4 ft 120 sps dominated reef tank and now have 3 over my new 180. Great coverage, customer service that's located in Iowa not in china, and has great control over every color led so you can customize the overall look to your liking. And there cheaper now since the new hydra 26 HD models came out.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Get a couple of the AI Vega fixtures, they can be bought used for $200 each

Reactions: tdb320reef

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, lots of feedback. This is great. I've been looking up fixtures and the reef breeders photon series, aqua illumination 52 or 26 have been on the top of my list. Still plenty of time to decide.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Another vote for Reefbreeders.. Nice, powerful and now, with the W series, program from your couch.. For raw coral growing power, they are great!

from my note 4

·
Administrator
2,479 Posts
I had reefbreeders on my 220. 5 of them. While they didnt work for me and my sps dominant tank (they paled in comparison to my MH which I went back to) they were good lights.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I had better growth with DIY rapid LED than I do with my radion. However colors are better with radion light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Speaking of crazy, anyone have credible data showing a positive outcome to simulating?

It sure looks kewl I suppose. If you're there. with people you need to impress. constantly.

What you are keeping and plan to keep I'd worry more about chemistry.
My lights come on in the morning and off in the evening. I have crazy growth of a variety of SPS and LPS. I agree, stable water conditions and flow are a better investment than fancy weather channel lights :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My water peramiters are pristine and water flow is great too. I'm getting great growth now, just want a better control over my lighting. AI 52 or vega, reefbreeder 36 or 48 are at the top of my list.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts