Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for the best submersible heater in the 2-300 watt range, prefer no glass.

I used to have the stealth heaters, but with this set up I dont want to take the risk and do things right.

Would like to stay below 100 bucks if possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Looking for the best submersible heater in the 2-300 watt range, prefer no glass.

I used to have the stealth heaters, but with this set up I dont want to take the risk and do things right.

Would like to stay below 100 bucks if possible.

Thanks!
Hi Brad,

Hope all is well!

My setup is definitely not under a $100, but thought I would share. I have two of the following that are hooked up to my rke. One is always on. If the temp drops to low, the other kicks on.

Aqueon Pro Heaters Submersible Aquarium Heaters at PETCO

Not the best heaters, but they work well with a controller.

One bit of advice I would like to share is what heater to avoid. Based on personal experience, stay away from the JBJ true temp. The heater element failed and the temp probe cracked.

Good luck,

James

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
i also use aqueon heaters with rke as a controler wich works well together but without the controler the temp dial is off quite a bit so if your not using a controler make sure you check your temp against it with another source

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the plain heater tube without the thermostat on it.
I let my RKE turn it on and off. It's good and unbreakable.-yes
so im starting to read that i need to purchase a RKE or RKL if im looking for the perfect set up.....

why you cost me more moneY?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
to be honest about it i think everyone should use a rke or apex for major stability and easily pays for itself by replacing other equipment for example
1 temp monitoring and controling
2 wave maker
3 ph monitoring and controling with reactor
4 auto top off

replacing these 4 controlers easily pays for itself and they can do so much more

·
Registered
198 Posts
Eheim Jager -These are really good heaters. I wouldn't buy anything else. I had two of them for about 6 years before one of them died. I ended up replacing both with new heaters from Petco and they were terrible. One cracked and was sending electrical current through my tank with in the first month. I ordered new Eheim Jager heaters (used to be EBO Jager) and they have been great. Reasonable price, they come in a 400w size and they are durable.

·
Registered
940 Posts
so im starting to read that i need to purchase a RKE or RKL if im looking for the perfect set up.....

I was one of the people totally reluctant to buy one as well.
But now that I've had it, I kick myself for not doing it years ago.

Many fish and corals died so that I may bring you this message.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Many fish and corals died so that I may bring you this message.
Ha! Nice reference! Speaking of RKL, I just got one last night. I will probably just wait til I get my LEDs before I set it up. But the temp control will help me quite a bit I'm thinking... definitely make things easier... and I can use my UV sterilizer again. :0)

·
Premium Member
232 Posts

Well, you can pay a little bit more up front now, or if your heater takes a dump, you can pay a lot more later! Really, there are no guarantees in this hobby except that we'll always pay (and pay, and pay)! And by-the-way, there never really isn't a "perfect" set-up. But using a controller, imo you will lessen the chance of having things go wrong (even though they still can), and I believe that you will like all of the options that will make working on your tank less, and be able to spend more time just watching what you have re-created from the ocean.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Ha! Nice reference! Speaking of RKL, I just got one last night. I will probably just wait til I get my LEDs before I set it up. But the temp control will help me quite a bit I'm thinking... definitely make things easier... and I can use my UV sterilizer again. :0)
My temp never deviates more than 2 tenths of a degree. It's amazing actually.
I am currently working on getting the ph as constant as possible too. That will be hard, but it's still pretty good regardless. It's around 8.14 at the lowest and 8.22 at the peak.

Just waiting for my biopellet reactor to stabilize. I had some cloudy water for a few days and rather than panic, I rode it out.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Well, you can pay a little bit more up front now, or if your heater takes a dump, you can pay a lot more later! Really, there are no guarantees in this hobby except that we'll always pay (and pay, and pay)! And by-the-way, there never really isn't a "perfect" set-up. But using a controller, imo you will lessen the chance of having things go wrong (even though they still can), and I believe that you will like all of the options that will make working on your tank less, and be able to spend more time just watching what you have re-created from the ocean.
I love just clicking a button with my mouse and shutting off my skimmer recirculation pump so I can remove the cup to clean it. That alone is huge. I used to have to trace the wire back to the outlet, knock all the power to the tank down, cuss and holler, then unplug it. No more!:victory:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Just picked up a Catalina Titanium heater(500w). Using it in tandem with an electronic thermostat with temp alarms. Plus an in tank Thermostat just to be safe. Seems to be a nice heater, and small in size for what it does.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Personally I will only use Jager heaters. Have used several over the years and never had one fail. I alos never run my tank without a ranco temp controller. I tries using an aquacontroller once to control temp but after 2 temp probe failures within 2 months i went back the the ranco and never looked back. my tank never moves more than 1 degree.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts