Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've managed to get my hands on a collection of used equipment (light fixture and some pumps) that are in good working order but... grossly filthy.
First, the acrylic splash guards for the light fixture are glued shut with salt creep and... something else (not quite sure what, it's gross). Anyone have any advice on something that will clear out the salt creep (and the gunk! ACK! IT'S SO STICKY WHAT ON EARTH IS IT?!?!) safely?
Second, is there anything I can pre-clean (dip/soak/immerse) the pumps in that will loosen up some of the filth before I go at it with an old toothbrush? Also, what should I use in combination with my old toothbrush? Anything work especially well or is exceptionally dangerous when I put the pumps in the tank?

Light fixture is a Coralife MH setup with a 150w bulb and two actinic PC's. Pumps are various makes and models.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Most of the gunk should be water soluble. I would suggest placing the pumps into a bucket of water water with about 3 cups of vinegar and letting them run. I clean my pumps by doing this overnight. If they are really dirty and caked with calcium carbonate, soak them overnight and brush them off with a toothbrush the next day.

Clean the lights with warm water...you may need to moisten the tough crud with a damp cloth for a while. Make sue everything is dry before you plug it in.

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
If the stickey stuff on the lights is tape goo or something similar try Goo-Gone, works great for "stickey stuff"
Pumps just water and vinegar, as Bob said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts