Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if anyone puts anything in their overflow area?

I have a 6" by 6" corner overflow. I want to cut down on the water noise, i have a duroso standpipe that comes 4 inches from the actual water level, and the noise of the water cascading into the overflow is louder than I want the tank to be in the living room. I know i could raise the height of my Durso to water level, but this makes me nervous, i like having the extra water space in the tank if anything were to happen with the return.

I could reduce the cascading water noise if I filled the cavity with Bio Balls. Would this be a huge nitrate trap, or would it be a perfect solution?

Does anyone put anything in their overflow?

·
Registered
949 Posts
I would not fill the overflow because it would make cleaning a real pain. My idea is to make a basket that hangs on the inside of the overflow that holds the bio-balls (or rubble rock?). This way you can remove it for maintenance. I drew a quick sketch to help visualize.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You will hear over and over on MR not to use bioballs..for good reason..... that whole "nitrate factory" issue.

What are you worried about with raising the level of the durso intake? There really isn't ant advantage I can think of for keeping it low. The water level in the tank is the same regardless of how high the durso is.

·
Registered
949 Posts
You will hear over and over on MR not to use bioballs..for good reason..... that whole "nitrate factory" issue.
Nitrate is caused by breakdown of waste material. This is why I suggested a basket. The basket can be removed and rinsed with tank water during water changes. This will prevent buildup/nitrate production.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Nitrate is caused by breakdown of waste material. This is why I suggested a basket. The basket can be removed and rinsed with tank water during water changes. This will prevent buildup/nitrate production.
Sure, but why would you want to add more maintenance for negligable gain?

I wll say that IF you use the bioballs, a basket is definately better than submerging them not only becaue of the cleaning issue but because Bioballs are way more effective if water trickles through them.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Sure, but why would you want to add more maintenance for negligable gain?

I wll say that IF you use the bioballs, a basket is definately better than submerging them not only becaue of the cleaning issue but because Bioballs are way more effective if water trickles through them.
I am not even going to try to disagree with any of the above statements (on the contrary I agree). It is not my tank and I figure that if someone wants to do something then I can only offer advice on that specific subject. I use a "cage" with rubble rock in my tank and have had good results. It allows me to siphon debris off the bottom of the filter and remove the rock for rinsing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts