Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a blue tort a little while ago and it has been doing well, not as bright as I would like but certainly healthy.

I woke up today to it knocked over onto my lobo by a snail and about a half inch of the "main" branch was gooey and missing flesh. Well I righted it moved them away from each other and the untouched half has all it polyps open. The damaged part is just white skeleton basically, couldn't see any life really.

Should I leave it or cut the dead skeleton away? What would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
If it were me i would cut the dead skeleton away. Some people might say that it will grow back over it, but ive found its almost always better to cut it off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
cut it

by cutting portion away it will prompt a tort to grow faster. leave them unhindered they grow slower ive notived. i found out by accidentaly breaking off a piece doing maintenance(my frag buddy was happy, but i was not, lol) but then it went on a growth spurt. now one thing i can tell you, my tort is EASILY bothered by other corals(gsp's, montipora's) and is slow to recover whereas if a montie gets scorned, it bounces back that week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts