Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I have a nice brittle star tahts prob 10 inches across leg to leg and just today I noticed that about 1/5 -1/4 of the oral disk body is talking on a brown Hue and It looks emaciated? I didnt notice this a week ago and Its hard to see it as It Hids in the day, Im considering doing a direct feeding of shrimp etc tonight cause frankly I just dont know whats up? I would take a Pic But we will see if it comes out right. thanks again for the help Adam

· Registered
3,990 Posts
sounds like its starving to me. be careful because I had a brittle star take out 8 of my fish including my springeri dottyback and 1yr old in my tank green mandarin.

· Registered
1,276 Posts
Stars usually need to be hand fed. Just some tweezers to hand the food to the star. Or use a turkey baster to blast some food in the star's direction. Maybe something else is stealing food from it like a cleaner shrimp? My cleaners walk all over my serpent star and steal food right out of its tentacles!

· Registered
1,949 Posts
Stars usually need to be hand fed.
I have Brittle stars that that have been in my tanks for over four years and I've never directly fed them ever. They are scavengers and will find any food on their own. But it doesn't hurt to feed them either, but I never have though.

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey all thanks for the Input I fed it a penny size chunk of shrimp and it ran to it LOL OK now I have attached a photo( best I could get) of the brown spot on its main body, Hoefully It was just a lack of food and this got sick and now It will recoup. I have never fed brittles before either But it seemed hungry so Im kinda lost? the tank has Lots Of LR in it etc maybe hes just a picky person. heres the pic thanks.

Attachments

· Registered
1,511 Posts
My large serpent got scratched once and had a nice 'scar' looking slice in it. Took a week or 3 to disappear but it finially did. I feed my star once a week. It's a crowd pleaser as it 'runs' out of it's cave. I keep it well feed so it doesn't take off after any molting shrimp.

Watch the bad area to see if it spreads. If it's not spreading then it probably just injured itself and will take a little bit to heal.

· Registered
446 Posts
We also have had a serpent for about a year and never hand feed it. We do see him reach out and grad the fish food. It's neat to watch his long tentacle reach out of a rock and grab it. He seems healthy and happy. I would agree that it might of got injured.

· Registered
176 Posts
I hand feed my bristal all the time. Usually chunks of shrimp or squid. Whenever there's an audiance, I'll lure him out and he put on the most spectaculre show. I've had issues with him eating shrimp in my tank, infact he's taken out everyone I've put in there. One time a chunk of squid got away and landed on my rbta. The star ran after it and stole it, w/o causing any serious harm to the rbta, a spectacular show in anycase. He will fight with my emerald and large hermit over food, and always wins. With my star being the most aggressive feeder in the tank, I don't understand how people can get away without feeding em.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.