Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a specific echino in my tank seems to be loosing alot of color and browning/bleaching almost. I recently ugraded my lights to a T5 on my new set up and i think the little guy was getting to much light? it was on the sandbed (however directly under daylight bulbs) i moved it this morning to a shady cave hoping it will regain most of its color. The other corals seem to be doing fine its just this specific one. I acclimated them to the light starting with 4hours a day and working up...im up to about around 6 hrs a day. Any thoughts on my echino?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Normally browning isn't caused by high light intensity, but a lack of. On the other hand bleaching (most likely tissue loss) can be caused by high light intensity. My echino's seem to prefer to be located roughly 10-14 inches below the water surface under 12k 250w mh and have been known to take bulb changes rather well. If you are seeing browning then bleaching I would recommend checking your calcium and kh, but if the echino is exhibiting rapid tissue loss chances are it's caused by the bump in intensity.
hope this helps
brent

1 - 2 of 2 Posts