Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bad case of bubble algae my tank is a 125g i have over a dozen emerald crabs just wondering what other methods can be used to get rid of the bubble besides manually removing and without hurting coral cant get it under control

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have a bad case of bubble algae my tank is a 125g i have over a dozen emerald crabs just wondering what other methods can be used to get rid of the bubble besides manually removing and without hurting coral cant get it under control
A dozen more crabs! Ha.

Manual removal and for goodness sake try not to pop them! I would target the large bubbles and let the mithrax crabs take care of the small ones.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
bubble algae like other forms of algae need nutrients to grow. Specifically nitrate and phosphate can be removed from the water with a few different meathods. At very low levels the bubble algae will not be able to grow and can be manually removed faster than it can reproduce. It can be a terrible nuesance algae!

Purigen, Bio-pellet reactor, GFO... just some ideas.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have been removing the rock when manually taking of bubble algae after i remove algae i dip the rock i an iodine dip but within a couple of days the bubble grows back my nitrates and phosphates read very low on the charts when i test my water and for the crabs they are very lazy they would rather wait for me to feed rather fending for themselves i feed the tank 2 times a day.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Phosphate test kits are natouriously inaccurate. If you have algae growing vigourously it is obviously not low enough. GFO will get it low if you get some of that in a filter or small reactor, bio pellet might not be a bad idea as it seems like the way of the future from what I can read. Purigen will work on both so they say... and is also regenarable theoretically. I had a tank with crazy bubble algae in it before, it is a real annoying pain in the rear end. Best of luck with the fight.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I've found manual removal to be the only sure way. May crab never touched the few I had.
Google:
Mr saltwater tank bubble algae removal

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Fix your water chemistry (phosphate & nitrates), do some water changes, and then pluck them out by hand.

It's hit or miss on predators of the algae, and many of them come with their own issues (crabs, tangs, etc.).

The only sure thing is to get the water chemistry in shape and keep it that way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've had it for two years. Tried GFO in Reactor, running two skimmers, vodka dosing and mb7 and also bright wells pellet, mb7 and carbon source. All the while, I was manually removing. Just seems to spread... I've started replacing the rock a piece at a time. Hoping to get rock replaced before the new rock is infected. Time consuming and expensive. I did try manual removal and rinsing with tank water, which seemed to work, but you need to remember to rinse the knife too, otherwise you just spread it.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
i have been removing the rock when manually taking of bubble algae after i remove algae i dip the rock i an iodine dip but within a couple of days the bubble grows back my nitrates and phosphates read very low on the charts when i test my water and for the crabs they are very lazy they would rather wait for me to feed rather fending for themselves i feed the tank 2 times a day.
Define low on the charts? and what are you feeding two times a day?

This may be helpful : 'Bubble' Alage: Selected Descriptions, Controls and Comments by Horge Cortes-Jorge, Jr. - Reefkeeping.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts