Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my Reef Octopus NWM 250 is much more sensitive to water level changes than my Euro Reef. Of course it could be that the skimmer is 2 days old as well. But if it is this sensitive Im thinking it might be time for an ATO. The way my sump works is the last section is return pump and skimmer. It was one of those prebuilt acrylic ones from Pruess. If I knew then what I know now, I would have built my own. But that being said, the last section is where the water level fluctuates for top of. It maybe fluctuates 2 to 3 inches in an entire day. So what does everyone use for a budget friendly ATO. Im not having the desire to spend a couple hundred bucks on one. Just want a good simple one. Im assuming for all of them you have to buy like a maxijet 600 or something and a container? I have no experience with them, so any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats the one I was looking at since you hear so much about it. But what do you need for a pump? Would a maxijet 600 work? Does it come with the plumbing for it that would hook up to a maxijet 600 or do I need to provide that too?

·
Registered
679 Posts
A maxijet 600 would be PERFECT. It's what pump I'm going use on it (just gotta pick it up). The only other thing you would need is tubing to go from resevior (hooked on the pump) to sump. It comes with directions to hook up the float switches, then you just get a pump, get some tubing and you're all set. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you were closer I'd say stop by and look, BUT you sound really far LOL. You'll love it, it's very simplistic and reliable.

·
Registered
123 Posts
+1 on the JBJ. Easy to set up, not too pricey, and any small reliable pump/powerhead will do. I have a small Rio that seems to work beautifully. Another nice feature is that you have a few different options as far as configuring the float switches, depending on what your needs are for failsafe operation.

·
Registered
296 Posts
+2 on the JBJ A.T.O.

I set one up last weekend and use the configuartion that allows for one sensor in the resevoir to keep the pump from running dry, and the second sensor in the sump. Everytime I looked over the last several days it has been running that sump volume appears to be almost the same. I am using the small Rio 180 which is perfect and the run is about 3'

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi Guys, for the JBJ what pump are you using, I am getting ready to set one up also, there is almost no head pressure, but it will have to pump through a Geo Kalk Reactor. but am seriously thing of the Elos Digital OsmoController Auto Top Off Water Level Controller, buts its pricey.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Check Autotopoff.com - you can get one with a backup float switch and snailguard for $50 or so - Reliable and simple.

I've been using one for a good while - works flawlessly

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
...Im thinking it might be time for an ATO... It maybe fluctuates 2 to 3 inches in an entire day. So what does everyone use for a budget friendly ATO...Just want a good simple one...
How about a gravity fed one with float shut off, that's what I use.
Winner, winner,...

Kent float valve, 15 bucks or so. Gravity, usually available @ little to no cost. :)
This is the set-up I use on the basement vats. If I'm cycling rock I add a simple kalk reactor. The float valve has never given me any trouble.

When the funds allow you could always upgrade to a Tunze. Love 'em. You can find them used on the National board for about half of new.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The JBJ is a good inexpensive ATO system. Not sure what controller you are using but another option is the reefkeeper ATO module which I think the apex offers a similar option. It works well and you can even incorporate 2 switches if needed. Since I had the base unit Reefkeeper already I purchase a pump for $15 (toms aqua lifter), Float switches with hangers for $25 and the DA SL1 module for $60. Total cost $100. The JBJ + a pump is pretty much the same price.

My reasons for using my controller was it gave me multiple option on how I could hook up and program the ATO. The DA SL1 module also gave me the option to hook up additional probes for PH, ORP and a second temp probe. One more added benefit is there is only one plug involved which is for the pump versus the JBJ which uses 2 plugs. One for the JBJ controller and one for the pump. Some people can care less to how many things they plug in but for some small reasons I do.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts