Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just told a couple of days ago I should buy bugs; or water, or some liquid with bugs in it, to feed my corals. Is this true and are these bugs alive.

I know I am not explaining this very well but this is because I am a little confused.

the Noob

G

·
they might have been talking about copepods or tigger pods maybe? not really needed for corals. there are some fish that love them and need them to live tho. No reason to by pods cause after a while they will be all over your tank (in a good way)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya those sound like what they said... So they are not needed but won't hurt. And they will multiply.
DId I underdtand this correctly?

the noob

G

·
you probably already have copepods in you tank and after a while they will multiply. If you are looking for some food for you corals look at Coral Frenzy, its pretty readily available and ive noticed some good coral extension when using it.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Not certain on reproduction, think they will if not all eaten up by fish. Benificial to the tank for sure. Regular pods will eventually establish themselves in your tank as long as you keep the tank in good condition. No real need to buy, but no real reason not to besides you could use the money on other things for the tank. As far as coral feeding goes, not necessary, but could be beneficial. Some corals require feeding, and would recomend frozen coral foods for that.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Can't beat live, natural food - that's why many people are HUGE proponents of productive refugiums (grow your own food!).

Adding or re-supplying various types of 'pods is always a good idea - especially if you keep fish or other animals that are dependent on them (i.e. mandarins, some wrasses, anemones, etc.).

Arcti-pods, tigger pods, and even cyclops are all great foods. Some are alive, others not, but there's a million choices for micron-sized food that your corals will love and readily consumer.

Just an FYI: Most of the 'pods are either vegitarian or detrivores so algaes are quite useful to raise them, but 99% of corals we keep in tanks are carnivorous, so they DO eat these micro-crustaceans readily. Gut analysis of corals DOES show algaes - but it's pretty well concluded that while the consume them, they don't actually metabolize them.

So... yes! Buy and or ranch these "bugs" yourself by all means - they're a wonderful base to your food web.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yeah I've got some in my tank already. I most find them when I turn on the lights. Sometimes, I even find dead ones floating, kinda gross, but they dissapear, so I figure a fish eats them or something. :)

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I just ordered 600 pods from Saltwaterfish.com. Cost 10.00 per 200. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sometimes they have great deals on ebay. 1000 pods for 30.00, but you have to really look for it.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Spanko said:
Tagging along to see how your order comes out TomToro.
The package left Novi at 7am today so I'm hoping by 10:30am. I'll let you know if it's worth the $.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
could this person be talking about Phytoplankton? I used to add phyto to my tank to feed corals and such. DT's makes live phyto that needs to be stored in your fridge.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Buying them is OK, but if you have a reefer near you and their tank is mature, they should be able to give you some. If people grow cheato algae in their sump, have them give you a small clump, the take the algae and shake it you display tank, the let it sit, after awhile put the algae in your fuge (if you have one), ta da, you now have bugs! I live near Brighton, if that's close to you, PM and I will hook ya up :D ! I hate to see folks buy them.

Dan

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would definently take up your offer if I didn't live across the state, gas would probably cost the same as the things do :p, But thanks anyways.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Vivaborg said:
could this person be talking about Phytoplankton? I used to add phyto to my tank to feed corals and such.
Virtually NO coral people keep in their tanks *eat* Phytoplankton...

It can be used to feed the smaller creatures that corals eat, but 99.9% of ornamental coral is carnivorous...

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Spanko said:
Tagging along to see how your order comes out TomToro.
Not happy with my purchase of 600 copepods for $30.00. They were microscopic. Not sure if I put anything alive in there or not. Seemed like tea green water. I expected to see the critters like the ones in my sump only smaller, but these were impossible to see.

So far, the only thing I've been satisfied with from Saltwaterfish.com is there reef janitor deal of the 100 astreas and 100 hermits. Good size animals.

I agree with Dan. If you can get some sand or cheato from a local reefer, it's a good bet you're going to be happy.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
scooby doo said:
Virtually NO coral people keep in their tanks *eat* Phytoplankton...

It can be used to feed the smaller creatures that corals eat, but 99.9% of ornamental coral is carnivorous...
Most corals do not consume phytoplankton, but even the best researchers/biologist's are not 100% sure exactly what corals consume. Clams, filter feeders like tube worms and other inverts do how ever consume phyto so if your tank has these critters, phyto can help. In my opinion, I would only add very small amounts of phyto as it can easily be a disaster. Personally I would go to brineshrimpdirect.com and buy one or two bottles of their Algae Pastes, like their Nannochloropsis Algae Paste, unlike DT's, these pastes are frozen and will last a very long time, you only need a small amount 1 or 2 times a week. DT's will spoil very fast. Places like the Trop have been very successful in using "green water".

Tom sorry to hear you were disappointed, but thanks for your candor.

Dan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts