Michigan Reefers banner
1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  spartyblaze 
#1 ·
I have been having problems with my aquaticlife 6 bulb fixture. So, they sent me 6 new bulbs. I've had 3 10,000k and 3 actinic. Now they've sent me 4 actinic, 1 purple and 1 10,000k. So now I'm a bit confused where to put the bulbs. I know they've probably changed to show more color to the tank. Any help would be great Here is a picture of what I have:

See less See more
#3 ·
Thats what the 6 bulb fixture is suppose to come with. That is also the color scheme most desired for reefs. The blue light you are getting is not a true actinic bulb but a 420/460 which is considered and sold usually as a blue +. for example that bulb is the same wave length and the ati blue plus which is also a 420/460 bulb. use them and go to ati and a kz purple in a year

#7 ·
I think your going to want at least one more 10k because although you tank colors will fluoresce a lot more with all those actinic's it's not going to be as bright I don't think your colors will grow as good with all most all actinic's like that due to there wavelength.

I would use the purple, 2 10k and 3 actinics (just because you have so many) or go back to 3 10k like you had and than 2 actinic and the 1 purple.

Wonder why they would send them to you like that, did you ask them and tell them you didn't want all those actinc's and that need at least one more 10k, who knows maybe they will send you another 10k

#13 ·
It's been really good. I used ATI and KZ Fiji bulbs at first, but switched to the WavePoint bulbs available on Amazon.

The PAR output is lower, but so is the wallet output and it lets me change the bulbs twice as much for about the same price.

Only problem was that they kept breaking them on the way to me. No biggie because they covered them - but a bit of a PITA,

#12 ·
I don't know what the par output of the aquaticlife bulbs are, but the ATI Blue+ bulbs have some of the highest par of any T5 bulbs manufactured. You do not sacrifice available light for your corals when running these bulbs.

The purple bulb will help the red and purple colors in the tank stand out. You could run two 10K if the tank is too blue for you, but there is nothing wrong with the combo as it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.