Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have these on another site but... I thought I would share.
Everyone likes to see growth photos ;)

Here is the "Burnin Banana" I scored for 20.00 during the Cherry Coral sale
You can also see the Montipora Spongodes growth also

January:

February:

March:

April:

April Macro under blues:

May:

July:

October:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice. What type of lighting?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks...I have 2 Kessils, over a 24x24 cube... 360A & 160A
They are ramped via Apex. Low intensity blue to high intensity white (80% white) then back down.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your rock is like my big montipora rock, get ready for a war lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually that is 3 separate rocks in the picture,all of them are laying on the gravel bed. Burnin Banana is on a rock to it self.
The ricordia is on a small rock and the Spongodes is on a larger rock. But looking at the pic it does appears to be one rock.

If you look at the pictures you may notice I moved things around, you might be able to see. ie... I recently put the ricordia in the middle of the banana and spongdoes for contrast. The acro in the back is like an army green i removed it from that area and put near the the setosa that I picked up from you.

I really liked the spongdodes, initially I purchased two. In the first picture you can see them both, each of those are on separate rocks. Funny one grows upward and the other encrusted all over the rock first. It is now starting to grow upward.

I picked up a few zoas that are in the back, I did not like the color much so I moved them to another area.. ;)
I tried to b cautious as I heard that the encrusting montis can take over.

I will post a full tank shot.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Day 1...

The rock pile on the right is 3 separate rocks... I removed the frags from the plugs and glued the frags to them. (January pic)
The one spongodes was a small colony. I try to get a couple larger items so it did not look like frags glued to rocks ;) I believe it has doubled in size.

The coralline covered rocks were my seed rocks... Happy to say they worked very well the structure now has some really nice coralline covering light and dark purple.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That acro in the back is from PJR...It was brown with purple tips. After I picked it up i was not sure if I liked it or not. I put it off to the side, I noticed it starting to turn green, so i broke a few pieces off and glued it to a small rock and put it in a little more light and flow. It has bulked up a bit and is now a deep green with brown polyps, I put it up a bit higher to see if it changes further. It's actually a bit more interesting now.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have much for "designer" corals. I was lucky to find a fellow that sold me Oregon Tort frags at a good price. I bought 3. May be my nicest coral when it grows. It has already started encrusting!

Setosa is doing fine Dan... encrusted quite a bit.

Darn bubble algae hitchhiked on a frag. battling to keep them out. Water change is basically done with a straw ;) sucking up bubble algae each week.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Added picture for July on progression... Quick pic from IPhone.

It is growing on the other side now. I'll change views next month. Thinking about cutting the original plug out and putting it on another rock to get another one started...I think it would fill in quickly.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
yea... Nice thing is I picked them up for 15.00 a piece!

Hard to beat that price ;)
****! That's a good deal I paid $75 for a frag and of course it was the only one that died when my old tank had a mini crash.
Such a unique coral, very slow grower hence the normal ticket price even after being around for so long.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's always been one of my favorites... unbelievable when folks have giant colonies.
Knowing how slow they grow. I read that once they are large they grow fairly quick.
When the fellow offered them up I jumped on it. I put them all together hoping it would help with the start of a colony.. The frags have encrusted but I think I need to get more flow in the top middle of the tank. Seems like it swirls around rock structure and leaves a weak spot. If corrected it may help these frags... I will keep you in mind if the fellow will pass along a few more.

Ed

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will take a few photos soon I have not taken any since July. I am approaching the 9 month mark on the tank. Amazing how some coral grow so quickly and others well... at least they are growing. It's nice to have a few fast growers, the tank fills out a bit. I missed August, and have battled cyano for a few weeks. All started when I left for a long weekend, I think family may have fed a bit too much while I was a way.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldnmlbakchv8d72/Video.MOV?dl=0

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Added a pic for October, The coral has grown down the other side of the rock as well. I just removed original plug and placed on another area of my tank. The original plug should encrust onto the new rock much faster as it does not have to grow down the sides. I really like this coral so I put it on the bottom of an area of my base rock.
(See photo timeline at beginning of thread)

The Spongodes is a very fast grower as well. I added a pic to compare from when I originally put it in along with the "Burnin Banana"
I started with two frags, The larger one is really a decent colony now. The second has spread along the entire rock and is now starting to grow upward. Amazing how that they are right next to each other however the growth pattern has been quite different from each.

I think it is good to add a few fast growers, it really helps with the enjoyment of the aquarium. The acros just take a while to get going.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts