Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this wind tonight it's making me worry about power going out and my tank crashing from no heat and oxygen so I'm looking into generators. I am just looking for something to be able topower my tank I don't care if it runs the house how big should I get? I don't een need to run everything just the essentials to the tank like the heater and power wads and return pump and stuff I don't are if the lights go down for a night like... The fish and coral can go to bed early of they have too so how big should I go justfor that? I'm trying to be cheap about this

·
Registered
17 Posts
A 1500 to 2500 watt (if you want to run lights also) will be more than adequate. The last big storm we had in December left me without power for 24 hours and i had to go get a generator from lowes. They were all out of the small ones so i ended up getting a 8000 watt one and it runs the whole house. After 8 hours with no circulation the fish were severly stressed and i lost about 5.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You might look into UPS as an alternative (uninteruptable power supply) such as is used for computers. Not as powerful, won't run as much stuff, and probably won't run as long, but will probably be cheaper.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I have a generac from home depot. I have I think 6600 Watts or something. It's a pretty big one but I don't want to loose food in the summer or my basement to flood so I power more than just my tanks. I picked it up for 400 as they were getting rid of their stock cuz it was regular 999. I only got the deal cuz my brother in laws work there and called me. All the employees bought them so it didn't even make it to the public lol

But you can get some good deals for under 400 that would work for your needs

·
Registered
320 Posts
A 1500 to 2500 watt (if you want to run lights also) will be more than adequate. The last big storm we had in December left me without power for 24 hours and i had to go get a generator from lowes. They were all out of the small ones so i ended up getting a 8000 watt one and it runs the whole house. After 8 hours with no circulation the fish were severly stressed and i lost about 5.
+1 for 2500W for running your tank, but you can easily get the exact number. Just add up the wattages for all your equipment, and then multiply by 1.25 for an average start-up power surge. I.e., my MH lights are listed as 250W, but that's only at steady state. Their initial startup power surge is closer to 300W.

For a whole house generator, it really depends on the size of your house and what you have in it. Many generator websites will have calculators to figure it out. When you start adding things like big-screen tv's, furnaces (even gas furnaces have electronic control and ignition), water-heaters, and heaven forbid your house air coniditioner, you'll find that 8000W may even be too small.

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
I was able to get by on a Honda EU2000. It's rated at 1600w, 2000w max. Ran almost 8 hours on a tank of gas. I bought this generate for field use in astronomy because it puts out clean power for use with laptops and runs very quiet. It's somewhat pricey because of this.

Honda EU2000i Super Quiet Generator

I could keep the furnace running or the fridge and 2 29ga tanks with 100w heaters heaters and LED lights. But not both. If I turned off the UV powerhead, LED lights and the upstairs tank heater, I could keep the furnace on all night. But it struggled with the fridge and the furnace running at the same time.

Need less to say, I'm in the market for a bigger generator now. At least double (3600w) what I have. I was told to research how clean the output electricity is. Some of the cheap generators will create energy spikes and fry electronics.

Tom

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
we can talk about this tomorrow when you come over. ill show you my generator setup, i don't know how to install all this stuff, my neighbor, who we are pretty close with did it for us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts