Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off i will bluntly state my position.

i have 8000 cash to spend on a car. i have an absolute POS 2002 mazda for trade (which was appraised at 2K today by royal oak ford)

i need to give a family member 2000 dollars to pay off a debt (it's my mom and there is no hurry but why wait?)

they have a suzuki forenza for 10 grand on the lot, doing the research i see it was an auction car but only had one owner. the car has 20K on it so that leaves 16K and 2 years of warranty bumper to bumper. it also has a 7 year 100000K drive train warranty (i really dont know the difference in this stuff)

i know the suzuki is actually a daewoo and i'm not willing to pay a lot for that low of quality, but i also know the KBB and NADA are nearly 11 grand and the car has a 4 star (of 5) crash test rating which is important. it also (according to msn autos) gets a "GOOD" reliability rating across the board as far as engine etc...

now, with the car listed at 10 grand we all know there is a haggle zone. my questions are: is there a way to find out how much they paid for the car? (it was sold to them at auction). how low of an offer can i make reasonably? my thought was tell them i want 2500 for the mazda and i want them to come down to 8500 on their suzuki- leaving 6K out of pocket plus tax and title (so around 6500 which would leave me nearly 2K for my mom)

my mom says i should LEASE and put 2K down with a 200 per month payment on a fusion.

my issue with this is at the end of 3 years i'll have spent all 8000 of the cash and will have nothing to show after i turn the lease in. at least if i buy used i may have some repair fees here and there but no matter what i have SOMETHING in 3 years. it might not be the best but it's something and something is better than nothing.

thoughts? opinions? please........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jeffrey750 said:
I sugest a pre paid lease on a new dodge or chrysler. I'll even recommend a very nice salesman at Galeanna's dodge.
sorry jeffrey, but if i go with something new it's going to be a ford (mom works there)

·
Registered
344 Posts
if you can afford a lease payment on your salry, I dont' think it's a bad thing to do, if not then I would buy what you can afford and not have a payment.

like you said, at the end of the lease, you have nothing, if you were to buy a new car every 2-3 years, and lose out by the value drop inhte first few years of any vehicle, then the lease makes sence. If not then it doesn't.

the one problem I heard about pre-paid leasing is even with insurance, if you total out the car, you lose out because the insurance pays the owning comapy for there loss, but you may lose out from havign a car to drive the rest of the lease time. Ussually a lease payment is based on very low to no interest so the difference isn't that much.

·
Registered
344 Posts
nanocube24 said:
sorry jeffrey, but if i go with something new it's going to be a ford (mom works there)
you should still price out others, I know people who pass up ford's with the discount because soemthing else that's just as nice/good was cheaper...

I lease a dodge truck for 255/month, nothing down, teh compatible GM would have cost me 350/month 1000 at signing, and ford even higher...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok why lease you are basicly long term renting wich IMO is stupid to give someone all that money and have nothing to show for it when you are done personaly I would probly avoid the suzuki they are known or at least used to be known to have high center of gravity meaning larger rollover hazard

personaly I wouldn't recomend a ford fusion either the focus and fusion are known to have electrical problems especialy with the headlights and tail lights

if I were to recomend a veichle for someone looking for a car I would probly recomend honda or mazda and actualy mazda is owned by ford if you didn't know I would also look into the possiblility of a hybrid car if you can afford the extra initial cost of buying one

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WHAT IF i decide to go the suzuki route (i love the idea of having the warranty)????

i came across hundreds of salvage titles that have warranties but honestly i'm afraid of them.

i'd be up for an auction if i could find one with newer cars, i know the one on gratiot or groessbeck has things every week, maybe thats worth the time???

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
i dont think going with the suzuki would be a bad choice. you are getting a warranty and going into the deal knowing they got it cheap at an auction, around 1/2 what they retail for it. if they appraise your car at 2k, tell them 8k for the suzuki. they may counter offer and haggling begins. you might save money telling them $9k out the door (tax, title, license).

on a side note...toyota corollas are by far they "best" used car to buy.

jake

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MarineManiac said:
i would also not advise leasing at this time. your in the wrong situation that makes sense around leasing.
agreed. that's what happens when a parent has "a cousin" at a dealership. the dealership people do what they do, they need to make money and we all know and even respect that.

i think i'm going to lowball the heck out of the suzuki and walk away if their counter isnt in my hood.

in the past 3 hours i think i sold my truck :) so i'm going to keep her car and put some money into it and drive it into the ground, make a cash offer on the suzuki and pay my mom her money...

in the end, i wont be ahead but i wont be behind.

·
Registered
695 Posts
swampjeep said:
you should still price out others, I know people who pass up ford's with the discount because soemthing else that's just as nice/good was cheaper...

I lease a dodge truck for 255/month, nothing down, teh compatible GM would have cost me 350/month 1000 at signing, and ford even higher...
I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe you are going to find a more attractive price on a comparable vehicle comparing A-plan price to sticker price...What incentives are out there? When I bought my truck I got an extra $2K for buying on A-plan. Not a bad deal at all.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'd stay away from any hybrid. Hybrid cars have a 5 - 8 year payback on them. Meaning, you have to own the car 5 - 8 years to recoup in fuel savings what you spent on the hybrid upcharge. Before that time, if you need to replace the battery you will see that savings curve go from 5 - 8 years to decades.

Hybrids are great if you are on a mission to save the world, but are impractical otherwise.

Of course, this is just my 2 cents!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well hybrids also save you money at the pump every month that is kinda why I sugested it especialy if you are going to pay cash for the veichle I mean come on if driven properly you can get 50+ mpg on a hybrid instead of 20 to 30 that is a huge difference IMO especialy with gas prices right now

but other than that I personaly would go for toyota or honda or mazda myself dont think I would go for suzuki not a big fan of their cars although they make exelent other veichles like motercycles and quads

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Be careful when buying any used car now and find out where it came from. There are a lot of used cars from Katrina in the market now. Pretty much all took a salt water bath so they will be great for a few years then big problems. Make them prove to you it did not come from down South.

·
Registered
344 Posts
adawg said:
I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe you are going to find a more attractive price on a comparable vehicle comparing A-plan price to sticker price...What incentives are out there? When I bought my truck I got an extra $2K for buying on A-plan. Not a bad deal at all.
I'm just saying he should price them out... my dodge was price was without employee price, the GM was with Employee price, and when I used to get all 3 at employee price Ford was always the highest price/least off, so I think it only makes sence to compare prices, and not just buy it because you got a plan without comparing it... when you are on a tight budget...

·
Registered
695 Posts
MarineManiac said:
or some people just want to do there part. attitudes like this only put us further behind.
Is it? Help me understand what makes them so great? Right now it seems like more PR hype than a solution. Although, as the car makers are finding out, hybrids do have great torque...

·
Registered
695 Posts
swampjeep said:
I'm just saying he should price them out... my dodge was price was without employee price, the GM was with Employee price, and when I used to get all 3 at employee price Ford was always the highest price/least off, so I think it only makes sence to compare prices, and not just buy it because you got a plan without comparing it... when you are on a tight budget...
I was typing too fast, didn't mean for that to sound grouchy. Sorry 'bout that. I have always had great luck with A-plan and incentives. Although, I can understand looking around.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
adawg said:
Help me understand what makes them so great?
* They're gentler on the environment since they have lower emissions.
* They reduce our dependence on foreign and domestic oil.
* They never have to be plugged in.
* They get excellent gas mileage. (This one bears repeating.)
* You'll spend less money on gas.
* You may receive a tax break for driving one.
* They're very quiet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts