Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing TBD180REEF's (Tom's) tank over the weekend, I decided I need to do some major work on my tank. His tank is just jaw dropping and it inspiried me to improve mine!

Well I am forcing my self to create this to show everyone how bad, IMO, my tank is and how I WILL improve it over the next 6 months. I will try to post at LEAST a picture a month to show updates.

Recently I had got lazy on water changes and my corals have have defiantly told me they are NOT happy.

I've already done some major changes over the weekend and plan to do more soon.

Tom, thanks for the motivation! :3195: :victory:

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
After seeing TBD180REEF's (Tom's) tank over the weekend, I decided I need to do some major work on my tank. His tank is just jaw dropping and it inspiried me to improve mine!

Well I am forcing my self to create this to show everyone how bad, IMO, my tank is and how I WILL improve it over the next 6 months. I will try to post at LEAST a picture a month to show updates.

Recently I had got lazy on water changes and my corals have have defiantly told me they are NOT happy.

I've already done some major changes over the weekend and plan to do more soon.

Tom, thanks for the motivation! :3195: :victory:
Your welcome!!! Look forward to following the thread. Sounds like a TOTM candidate down the road!!!!!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Few shots of the tank. As you can see there is green film algae on the sides. I will be scraping that off this week. I let my nitrates get too high. P04 was always under check.

Full shot along with a close up of a few of the coral I have.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I see some awesome acans, favia and chalices there. Very NICE!!! :yes4:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you... I hope for them to improve greatly over the coming months.

A ton of new salt arrived today via Fedex (Thanks to free shipping!)and I got a new skimmer and a new return pump today.

The skimmer has been running for about 2 hours and is already pulling out tons of crap..........'me thinks my previous skimmers were not doing a good enough job.

Time to start mixing the salt in a 55G drum...

·
Registered
490 Posts
what kind of return pump and skimmer were you using and what kinds are you using now? I need to replace my return pump soon too as its on borrowed time. I'm running on a rio1700 that I really would like to replace w/ a ehiem for my return. Although I love my eshopps economy skimmer s120.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
That tank is a dirty disaster!!!!!

J/K- Looks pretty well kept compared to many.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it the next few months.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what kind of return pump and skimmer were you using and what kinds are you using now? I need to replace my return pump soon too as its on borrowed time. I'm running on a rio1700 that I really would like to replace w/ a ehiem for my return. Although I love my eshopps economy skimmer s120.
I guess I should run down the specs of the tank, maybe tomorrow if I have some free time (down time) at work.

I have a 90G tank, 60G sump and a 40G frag tank. Total water volume of around 150G.

I had a Euro-reef RS-135 and a ASM Mini-G that I had laying around. The tank was stocked mildly, but the frag tank also had 5 fish in it. I got rid of my return pump (Mag 9.5) and the two pumps on the skimmers and I am now running a Mag24 with a Precision Marine Bullet 3. The Mag24 is now the skimmer pump and the return pump.

I'd recommend Mag drives hands down. Even though they are a little pricey, the start up every time for me, w/o issue. (Cant say that about RIO/VIAAQUA etc.) Ehiem's are nice but they are very pricey.

That tank is a dirty disaster!!!!!

J/K- Looks pretty well kept compared to many.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it the next few months.
Thanks Chris! :3195:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cleaned some... a couple water changes and installed some new LED's.... and this is what you get:

LED's on the right --- Phoenix 14K Halide on the left

100% LED's -- 100% White, Blues turned to about 50%

100% LED's -- 100% on both Blue and White (Really messed up white balance)

·
Registered
870 Posts
A little hard to tell from the pictures, but the color temperature looks fairly close to the 14k phoenix. Is it that close in real life? Looks like it's quite a bit brighter also. Should be interesting to see the long term results.

Tank is definitely lookin good though. -yes

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A little hard to tell from the pictures, but the color temperature looks fairly close to the 14k phoenix. Is it that close in real life? Looks like it's quite a bit brighter also. Should be interesting to see the long term results.

Tank is definitely lookin good though. -yes
Yes, as I'm sure you know... it is hard to take good shots with any blue light on, but he color with the blue's at ~50% is around 16-18K... not as blue at 20K, but with the blue's at 100% it is very blue (I like that). Also, as you stated it is MUCH brighter which I wasnt expecting, but am happy about.

I also took some shot of the coral as the colors just POP now. :3195: That is also hard to capture in a picture.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Are these DIY LEDs or something else ? As you know I run AI's and running any of theme at 100 % is aking for some serious bleaching ? You can even bleach soft coral with LEDs which I never new tell my adjusted he AI's up and what do ya know they turned white in a few days ! Might look like your halide but the par I am certin is much higher. Food for thought. It does look sweet tho Adam. ,

·
Registered
870 Posts
Are these DIY LEDs or something else ? As you know I run AI's and running any of theme at 100 % is aking for some serious bleaching ? You can even bleach soft coral with LEDs which I never new tell my adjusted he AI's up and what do ya know they turned white in a few days ! Might look like your halide but the par I am certin is much higher. Food for thought. It does look sweet tho Adam. ,
They are AJM Reef LED's from the Group Buy here. There have been 2 group buys of them now so there will be a good 20-25 of us running these lights very soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts