Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
ALK, Ca and Mg have a delicate ballance. 500 is not crazy high for Ca, I have had it at 800 before.. (not good). At 500 it will plate out on heaters and pumps and other equipment a little faster than normal, but it should not precipitate out of the water or cause any major issues. Getting it down can be done by doing water changes with lower Ca saturated water or letting corals grow. Most people use a lot more ALK buffer than Ca. It takes more carbonate for whatever reason. Testing your magnesium might be a good idea. just to make sure that is not anything crazy. Been a while since I tested mine 1400 seems to be the number I was shooting for last time I did any adjustment. Been trusting my reactor ever since... guess I should take a look at mine too.. lol...:no:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
What are you using to test it? What are you using to maintain your calcium? As for it being at 500 I wouldnt go crazy with water changing or adding things lets talk about the basics first.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Also, what salt mix are you using? Some salts (Coralife, Oceanic to name a couple) mix up at over 500 calcium, so this just be where you have set the tank due to the salt mix.

As others have said, don't go crazy, 500 isn't so high that it is going to cause major problems. If you are dosing 2 part just dose the alk portion for a while, if using a reactor or dosing kalk, you do not have that option and giving it time for corals to grow and maybe switching salt mixes to something that mixes in the 450 range will slowly bring it down.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have my calcium at 550, dkh at 9,PH-8.2 and my magnesium is 1080. lots of LPS, few sps corals. Everything in my tank is doing great. I wouldn't worry too much about your calcium being over 500, maybe 800 lol.

When do you decide to start dosing alk buffer?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oceanic is the salt i use. and i use 2part. i dose alk buffer everyday. ph is 8.4. Magnesium no test kit i have to get one. every thing looks happy.i will just let it go down by its self thanks for not saying alll my coral is going to die. thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Oceanic is the salt i use. and i use 2part. i dose alk buffer everyday. ph is 8.4. Magnesium no test kit i have to get one. every thing looks happy.i will just let it go down by its self thanks for not saying alll my coral is going to die. thanks for all the help.
When you mix your next batch of water for a change. Test the calcium prior to putting it in the tank. If it is at 500, then you have the cause and would be an easy fix by switching to a better quality salt like Seachem Aqua Vitro Salinity, Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, Brightwell makes a good one, cant think of the name off hand.
500 isn't too high but, I would shoot to get those numbers. Just keep an eye on your system, corals. You should be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts