Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My calcium hovers around 520-540ppm is that too high? Thus, I don't dose or use additives. I have a mixed reef with several sps corals. There is not a current problem with the tank, just wondering. I use an API Master Reef test. All other parameters are in line. I do every other week water changes of 10-15%. The tank is moderately stocked.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
That is a little high, but not crazy high. I am guessing you either use a salt mix with a LOT of calcium in it or have calcium already in the water pre mixing the salt. Should not hurt anything as long as your ALK and Magnesuim levels are not crazy. But you will likely be getting Ca plating on your equipment (white crusty stuff).

·
Registered
87 Posts
where do you keep your salinity? do you use a refractometer or a hydrometer? i had been using a hydrometer that was off and found out my salinity was at .030 and that made my calcium levels about were yours are at. just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I would try a second test kit, If your not dosing anything it's really hard for your calcium just to stay that high from water changes and I would keep an eye on your alk high calcium levels can drive it down and don't forget your magnesium it could be low causing things to get off.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ya, that is certainley higher than what is typicallly targeted. But of course, as others have indicated, you really can't look at Calcium levels in isolation. There is a hi/lo (inverse proportionality) relationship between Ca and Alkalinity and regardless of how high the Ca is the magnesium has to be high enough for the Ca to be useful. Your Ca levels are not in and of themselves problematic but I'd keep an eye on Alk and Ph stability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.