Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some leftover saltwater from my last water change that I didn't put the circulation pump or heater back in. Can I still use this water? It has been sitting for less than a week.

Thanks,
Lori

·
Registered
308 Posts
The water should be fine to use. However, if you keep it somewhere there are a lot of contaminants, you may not want to use it. For example, if you keep it in the bathroom uncovered, and there is a "regular" amount of lysol used every day, it would be safe to assume that some has gotten in your water.

Heat and circulation is only important when live creatures are involved. Storage of saltwater is best in a cool area (not cold or hot) in sealed containers. Simply remix the water before using it to make sure you keep the same salinity. Salt will naturally settle to the bottom of the tank, so a good stir should mix it back up without any problems.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I usualy have RODI water siting around with no heater or circulation for at least a week at a time. When I mix it, I just put a pump and heater if needed in for at about12 hours. I wouldnt think there wouldn't be any difference between RODI water and saltwater sitting around in a container as long as it is covered so contaminants dont get in it as mention above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts