Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do canister filters harm your copepod population?? Thinking about adding a canister filter to my 150 but I am really trying to keep up my copepod population up. Running a wet/dry and a skimmer only at the moment. It is a mixed reef setup with a moderate fish population.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm not the most knowledgeable on the subject but I ran a canister in my FOWLER tank and every time I went to change anything in it the thing was loaded with the little buggers. I absolutely love watching them. :wub: So I would think it wouldn't. Though I have heard the canisters can lead to nitrate issues depending on what you have in them.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Refugeum is the way to go if you want pods for a manderin or wrasse. I only suggest chaetomorph macroalgae because pods like it, it grows slow enough to maintain, and it is easy to maintain. Just set er up and watch the pods take over the tank.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am not sure what you're concern is. Other than wondering why you want to add a canister filter, I'd say that no, adding it isn't going to harm the population any morethan a skimmer would.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to add the canister filter because it seems like I need the canister to store more chemical filtration like purigen, and carbon. Maybe it isn't necessary on the larger tanks. This 150 is my 1st big tank. Have always struggled with the smaller tanks water quality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts