Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
I never used carbon on my 275 gallon system until a few months back when I went to Trop in Romulus and talked with Dick about it for an hour. I was converted and tried it. My water was immediately clearer (helping light reach my SPS and without any yellow tinge). Like crystal. Particulate matter lower too. I use black diamond and run a couple cups at a time through a generic media reactor fed by a maxijet in my remote sump. I run the stuff 24/7 and swap it out every three weeks of so (on the same schedule with my phosban). Running carbon has made a visible difference in my tank.

Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
Carbon

I have always used it on my tank. I run it 24/7 through a canister filter and change it monthly with water changes. My water is always clear.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Just to be on the other side of the fence, I have never run carbon in the two years + that our 225 has been set up. No issues with water clarity or quality. Granted, my bio load is relatively light (2 tangs, 2 watanabeis, 2 bangais, a royal gramma and 2 orange anthias and a firefish goby). I do feed heavily most every day and run a skimmer. 10% water change every 2-4 weeks.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so it's basic, just clears the water in a visible manner, I don't know if I heard this right but it was while ago, Has carbon been linked to a certain disease that Tangs can contract? That's my main concern.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't know about the tangs and a disease from carbon. I know they are suspect to getting a lot of things however i think the carbon is unrelated (anyone else on this one?)

i have two tangs (purple & yellow) and run carbon in my sump via a reactor. definitely polishes up my water nicely and i would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I also have tangs and run carbon for over 3 years with no problems, or diseases ever. However, i have also read that when you leave carbon in for more than 5 days it is pulled out all the organic matter it can hold, and will only remove beneficial trace elements after that point. This is even written on the label of my kent marine 'reef carbon'.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I cycle my uses of carbon. Every other water change I add carbon. My tangs are happy and healthy and "knock on wood" I've yet to have any ich problems after 3+ years.

More importantly I like how it clears up the water. It makes looking at your animals so much nicer because you can see all the vibrant colors more clearly.:D

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You can find successful tanks with everything from no use of GAC ever to 24/7 use. Generally people do find that its use benefits their tanks though, and I see no reason to run it intermittently. I'd run it 24/7 and have done so for years.

Chris

·
Registered
261 Posts
ehrenpaul78 said:
I have a 90 gallon reef set-up, I use carbon, my LFS does not. Should I be using it or not?
Here is a link to several articles. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/a4/Activated-Carbon-Articles/article_info.html

My carbon use thus far, is in the form of Pura Pads, placed within a 25 micron filtration bag that receives about 75% of the flow from my sump. I run two pads, and replace one monthly. The Concientious Aquarist book has a good read on the subject. It recommends having multiple bags, replaced one at a time on a set schedule. The article here http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/a3/Carbon-Directions/article_info.html has a good basic explanation of why to do it this way.

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
I only use carbon once a month for a few days, sometimes only every couple months. I just buy the premade floss/carbon for fresh water filters, rinse them and toss em in the overflow so the water can hit it but not cause any overflow issues. I've heard of alot of people not using it ever, just to clear up the water every now and again.

It's a strang feeling going from fresh water with carbon to salt water with carbon. Then to just stop using it feels almost scary.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
also consider that certain corals, and other inverts when they die, or become threatened release things into the water, and the carbon does a good job of pulling it out. Carbons benefits far exceed that of water clarity. For those who don't run it, i would say try it for a month, and see if you can tell a difference. Ill give a good example. Mt PPE's stayed dormant for months, all ways looking splotchy, not two days after i started using carbon, the colors were solid and velvety again, and shortly there after exploded with growth. This is not to say this effects every coral, but i can literaly watch my ppe's and know when i need to change my carbon. there are others that have the same results.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Currently I have been using bags of fluval. That just sits in my sump area.. I assume its not getting much action with the water. Have been thinking of a reactor type device to use with it.

I have a 90g display and a 35g refugium/sump. Space is limited and would like to keep the cost of the reactor or w/e to a minimum. I have seen phos reactors for like $30-40ish. Would that work?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
yep, and get a tiny maxijet for it, and fill it up about halfway with carbon, and adjust the flow to were the carbon is just barely tumbling.

you can do one better, and put the recommended dose of a phosban type media in the same reactor. You will notice a pretty good difference, but your carbon now still probably does an OK job.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts