Michigan Reefers banner
2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  AlleganReefer 
#1 ·
I thought I read something about a caulerpa die off due to going asexual or something and releasing some sort of toxin to the tank. I cant seem to find anything pertaining to this. I am having some issues with my SPS while others are doing great and my parameters are fine. Moving corals around tank doesn't seem to help. My caulerpa has always grown like crazy but I added red dragons breath which is doing better (not crowding though) and my caulerpa seems to be lacking something and there has been a lot of foam on top of my refugium and the caulerpa is a little slimey. Maybe not enough nutrients? Maybe it releases phosphates or nitrates as it dies? Those levels seem fine and I did just add a phosphate reactor (after all this happened) Anyone heard of Caulerpa poisoning?

#3 ·
Man this is crazy, I was up late Saturday and researching a bunch of random BS and I decided to look up my culerpa and found out exactly what you posted about. It is am extremely invasive species of seaweed releases toxins to keep fish away and it can turn asexual. *blew my mind* woke up Sunday and yank out every single bit I could. It covered my refugium. I mean covered it! To the point it smothered my cheato I put in at the same time. Many hours later I got it all out lol. Currently looking for more cheato.

The middle section was completely engulfed with culerpa. This is all that's left.

Attachments

#5 ·
I thought I read something about a caulerpa die off due to going asexual or something and releasing some sort of toxin to the tank...
...It is am extremely invasive species of seaweed releases toxins to keep fish away and it can turn asexual...
A sexual (not asexual) reproduction in caulerpa produces a very cloudy tank. The parent dies, and can if left in the tank release everything just like any other dead thing would.
The toxin is present in the tissue, and very small amounts will "leak" out from pruning or nibbling. The more you prune, the more you release into the tank.

The two are not related. Regular carbon use and water changes will render the toxin moot.

The other, let's just say that sex is messy and leave it @ that.

#7 ·
Sorry...I didn't put the space between the letter A and sexual. I understood what it did...
I wasn't banging on your grammar or biology - just attempting to add clarity for posterity.

...the things we learn in this hobby. What we thought we knew turned into we knew nothing almost overnight. It was great, and now it's a bane.

Pulling it out was probably a good thing though, there are other choices that don't pose as much risk.

#8 ·
Yeah no biggie. When I pulled it out I shut off return pump and drained all the water from refugium so that the poison wouldn't spread. (Per instructions from a forum) Cleaned that all up and did a sweet water change. Took some time but it paid off. Worst thing now is waiting for the cheato to grow.

Peace of mind the best feeling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.