Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes there was a little bit but I added water follow and the macroalgae and rocks are still getting covered in it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if i keep the light off for 4 days or so to take care of the issue how much of an issue will it be to the macroalgae?

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Turning off the lights isn't going to take care of the issue because the food source is still there. You need to eliminate its food source - whether that be from your water source, overfeeding, etc. and by getting more chaeto which will use up the excess nutrients faster than the nuisance algae.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
it should kill the algae bloom in the sump... but yea, would need to remove the nutrients or figure out why it's happened. Could start running your phosphate reactor full bore and cut back on the feeding to a few times a week to see if that helps, along with a good size water change.

Dan

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Get a turkey baster and remove manually as much as you can, brine shrimp nets work well. Also, i stopped all feeding, and lights 4 days or so, and knocked my out completely.

G

·
Like I have said many times...Fix the problem, don't sweep it under the rug!!! Red slime remover will kill it off, & then it WILL come back...So if you want that to be a monthly thing go that route....Do more Water changes with quality RO water....Run carbon, you have cheato already Don't recall if you had a skimmer?....Put a phosban reactor in your system...If its phosphates causing it...You rock could countinously leech them back into your water...Did you use Tap wter to fill your tank? Phosban reactor would be your best bet long term. Suck out as much as you can, & limit or remove the food supply...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts