Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone im curently leak testing my newly drilled and plumbed 90 gal 3/8ths glass it has no center brace and bows 1/8th in or less tank is at 60 deg will it get worse at 75 deg and is this exceptable or should i add a brace

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
3/8ths is pretty heavy duty, but it will still bow. Cannot hurt to add a center brace, but I have seen a number of tanks that were built with one that the owner cut out. When in doubt call/email an expert tank builder. The manufactuer or an MR sponsor that builds tanks might be able to answer a question better than any general member on here.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Consider another option of euro bracing. This would be two long pieces of glass, maybe 1.5" wide, by 3/8" thick, by about 46" long. These would be glued towards the top of the tank running down the length, one in the front, one in the back. The resulting structure helps to match the rigidity that the bottom pane of glass offers and would eliminate any measurable bowing, and take a lot of stress off the corner seams as a result. The same way an I-beam gets its strength. A side view of the front or back of the tank would look like this:

|__
|
|
|
|
|
|
------

Steve

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi, Forget bracing, it the tank did not have it, then it does not need it, I had a 90 gal that was manufacturered without a center brace and you will find many older tanks without them. Mine bowed very little and no temperature will not affect the bow, I used it over three years without any problem.

Today, manufacturers add it as a backup and also part liability reasons, I looked to have a new tank made and no manufacturer that I talked with (3 of them) would make it without a center brace unless I went rimless with thicker glass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts