Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29g oceanic bocube which has a 3 chamber wet/dry filter system "built in" to the back. The 2nd or middle chamber is the largest of the 3 and I have seen people modify this section into a sort of mini refugium.

I have been struggling with nitrates, can not seem to get them to 0 no matter what I try they always seem to hover around 10-20ppm. Sometimes it might get as high as 30-40.

I decided to try throwing some Chaeto in this middle chamber and bought one of these little LED lights from Petsmart

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753104&cp&kw=led+light&origkw=led+light&sr=1

(the picture shows a blue light but the one I bought is white)

This thing doesnt provide much light to the area the Chaeto is in but it was a simple solution to add lighting for the Chaeto.

My question is, how much light does Cheato need to help with my nitrate problems? It is ok to just leave the LED light on 24/7??

Should I just get some other light? Any suggestions on a different light if this is not sufficient?

G

·
if you have room I would sugest a larger light myself if you could get a cheap floresent bulb to mount in the hood over the area of the algae for about 10 bucks and put a 6500k bulb in it (standard plant bulb) this should help your cheato grow like mad

G

·
I would use one of those cheap desk lamps that you screw a bulb into with a flex neck that you could get just about anywhere

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would not run it 24/7. The moonlights I would say yes to 24/7 but not the others. Usually after, I believe, 10 hours of light the cheato no longer uses anymore. I do not know the correct terminology.

G

·
i run my chaeto lighting on the reverse of the main tank, when the lights go out in the main the light in the fuge comes on. my chaeto grows like crazy.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I have only had this Chaeto in my tank for 2 days so far and WOW!!

I cannot believe the difference it has made in such a short time, why didnt anyone make me do this sooner!!!!:D

The water looks clearer than I have ever seen it, there has been no build up on the glass yet. Usually the glass needs to be cleaned and starts to get nasty by about 3 days after a water change - it has been 4 since last water change now and still looking good!!

It has also dropped my nitrates by ~10-15 ppm!

This stuff is some sort of miracle weed!!! :D

(I need to go out after work today and find a better light for it though)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a perfect little 20 watt halogen light at home depot that was easy to set-up and seems to provide plenty of light for the chamber my Chaeto is in.

Will halogen work ok for the Chaeto or should I try some sort of fluorescent instead? I saw a small 7" fluorescent there also but didnt see any replacement bulbs so I was a little concerned about buying that.

G

·
I look at HD all the time for bulbs..I know they have little Compacts there for plants...should beable to find 1 & also that bulbs would prolly last quite a long time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I bought a cheap 18" flourescent fixture at HD this week T8 and mounted it to the underside of the cabnet bought a plant /aquarium bulb to replace the packaged one total cost $16 for both

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need something really small, maybe no longer than 5 or 6 inches as this is going inside the back chamber of a biocube. Maybe I will look at Lowes or Walmart or something. I tried that Halogen last night and that **** thing got so hot it scared me.

G

·
beeing as it is just for chatoe the little halogen will be fine just rember that it may get hot inside your hood causing the plastic to melt or warp

1 - 14 of 14 Posts