Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that Chromis provide a very low bio-load.

I have a 29g Biocube reef with 2 clowns and a YWG and was wondering if I could add a few (3 or 4) Chromis to my tank or would that be pushing my luck?

I do about 40% water change every 7-10 days religiously.

·
Registered
450 Posts
In terms of bioload, it might be okay for a little while...at least until they do a bit of growing.

However, that's not nearly enough territory for them - they'll keep killing the least dominant fish until there's only one left. Each adult green chromis will need at least a two-foot by two-foot space - breeding pairs will take several square meters for themselves.

There's a lot of misinformation about this species - it's not a schooling fish at all. They may get along well for a little while, while they're still young...but it's not a good long-term proposition.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We have a 29g with 2 clowns, a ywg, and 2 chromis. We started with three but one mysteriously disappeared while we were on vacation. Of the two remaining both seem to be doing well and they have been in the tank for about 4 months. One of them is smaller, but doesn't get picked on. We also run a remora skimmer, so that helps with the bio-load! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Yeah they will usually kill the weakest link until they are left with only the fittest. I had three in my 60 cube until the smaller one was killed. The two that are left will nip eachother. I think in the 29g you may be able to keep one or 2.

·
Registered
51 Posts
true dat

there is alot of misinformation about the chromis. they are a schooling fish(in the wild) in captivity they take on an aggressive manner toward the weaker links. a better schooling fish are cardinals or anthis, but your tank will not supoort an anthios trio so give cardinals a thought(long spined?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts