Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering whats the worst thing what could happen if your accidentally smashed a mushroom and all the slime from the mushroom went into a cut? I ask this question because when I was cleaning my tank just now, I accidentally smashed a mushroom and all the slime from the mushroom went into my cut... I also picked the mushroom out of my tank to get rid of it and even more went into my cut... I can taste rust in my mouth. My hand is kinda numb.
I know its a stupid idea to go in my tank with a cut and then pick up a mushroom what got smashed, but a reefer got to do what a reefer got to do.
( I didn't know what to call the inside junk of a mushroom)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
worst that could happen? You could die! Probably could get some kind of staff infection... if it were me, I would of rinsed it thoroughly with water, then put some hydrogen peroxide and alcohol on it, then wrapped it in neosporin, if it's numb after an hour I'd call poison control and see what they say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,607 Posts
Clean it well and watch it very carefully. If it gets red or you have lines moving up from the cut go to the ER. If you feel dizzy, faint, short of breath or sick to your stomach I would go to the ER. Basically you just dumped a bunch of nasty bacteria into the cut. Just be glad it was not a Zoo or something toxic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,111 Posts
Worst case would be Severe Allergic Reaction (Anaphylactic Shock)
More likely is an infected cut. Make sure you clean it out well and put some antibiotic cream on it for a few days.
Sounds like you were probably stung by the mesentary filaments (white stringy stuff-guts)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I did put peroxide on it and neosporin already. My arm is just so numb right now, same with my hand.( It feels like blood is rushing to my arm). I'm going to wait it out, if it gets worst im going to call poison control. Oh yeah, I hope I don't have what jimsflies had nor an allergic reaction or a staff infection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
GO to the urgent care, doc, ER...whatever!! Nothing to mess around with, I've had cellulitis infections 3 times, and luckily it was easily cured with antibiotics and prompt medical care.

BTW....jim I love the medical alert bracelet! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
Mr.Bob said:
Yeah, I did put peroxide on it and neosporin already. My arm is just so numb right now, same with my hand.( It feels like blood is rushing to my arm). I'm going to wait it out, if it gets worst im going to call poison control. Oh yeah, I hope I don't have what jimsflies had nor an allergic reaction or a staff infection.
Hopefully you're doing good, at the point it made my arm numb, I'd be calling poison control headed to the ER.

Let us know how you do man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
For future reference i alway put a latex glove on. Even if that didn't happen with the shroom there's just so many other thing that can happen - worms, just getting alittle cut from a rock, ect. It's a good investment and you can buy by the pack full and there a lot less than an urgent care, er visit and the stress and worry. Things still could happen even with the glove but chances are reduced significantly. Hope your doing better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm fine and I did go a doctor at the hospital... She didn't even know what I was talking about... The doctor was on the computer for 20 mins, she could only say this... " Well, the only thing I found on my computer was that these corals were dangerous to other corals... Your nerve in your arm was probably effected, it will be better tomorrow." Then she acted like I was stupid and left... So I didn't feel like fighting her... My arm is still really numb and my finger is swollen... Also my finger is swollen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
I would go to another hospital then. Also get in touch with the chair of the hospital and let them know.. ( I use to work for U of M and chairmen get pissed when docs turn away people and don't take them seriously)...
Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
There are a couple of threads on here by people who have had problems with poisoning. Jimsflies is one of the more detailed ones, I think. I would print them off and go back in. Insist on care if you're still having problems/worried about your arm. At least make an appointment with your FP and get checked out.

Be sure to go back if you notice any redness/swelling/warmth/tenderness in that extremity; green or yellow drainage from the cut, fever; chest pains, SOB; tingling, heaviness in that arm. Go in!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I already have tingling and heaviness in my arm and my finger is swollen a bit. I'm just going to wait though Intel I get a fever, or my figure comes more infected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,194 Posts
well, if you were going to drop dead I think it would have already happened. Best of luck fighting infection. Will likely have some good stuff oozing out of it before it is fully healed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,314 Posts
I personnally think it is unlikely that you got poisoned, especially from a mushroom coral. However, is is likely that you have a nasty bacterial infection (like I had). The docs never did think I had been poisoned. (I don't think so either even though I did stick my cut finger into a really slimmy palyathoa.)

Did they give you any antibiotics to take at all? When I first went into a ready care, I had red streaks going up my arm. They had me plugged into IV antibiotics within 10 mintues.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top