Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide how to take advantage of the holes drilled in my tank for a CL system. Initially I was thinking I would run the CL's as constant flow, along with the return from sump and use a Wavebox or a wavemaker with Tunze streams for random flow/surge. The more I got to thinking about it I figuired I could accomplish random flow with an Oceans Motions unit hooked into the CL, and even more random flow if I use 2 Oceans Motions 4-ways. Also this would prevent unsightly boxes/powerheads in the tank ( I would have to put the wavebox on one of the viewable sides of my tank to run lenghthwise).

The previous owner kept almost all SPS and thus ran a very high flow even towards the bottom. I will be keeping my LPS, so I need to keep a fairly low flow towards the very bottom, yet I would like to utilize the holes drilled in the bottom to keep detrius from setteling and to promote more flow through the rocks. So I came up with a few ideas and this one seems to stick out.
First heres a drawing of the holes that are drilled in my tank. This is a top view drawing:

The holes are color coded by size, the overflow holes are all 1.5".

Here is a drawing of how the previous owner ran the CL systems:

All three CL's ran off of Sequence DART pumps. Notice that there are drains with returns at the bottom. I feel these returns at the bottom would create too much flow for my LPS, and really add more pump cost as well (flow being bigger concern). I want higher flow at the top for my SPS, but need to keep LPS happy at the bottom. I was thinking that I could utilize all the holes in bottom as drains, to keep water moving through those areas (especially since its BB tank). The previous owner utilized an Oceans Motions on a whole nother CL not in this drawing. It drew water out of the sump, into a DART pump and returned over the back of the tank (Like the pink lines in my next drawing).

Here is a drawing of the new idea:

It takes CL#2 (blue) and CL#3 (yellow) from drawing above and puts them together, creating CL#2 (blue) in this drawing. All four holes in bottom would be used as drains, and would flow to a DART pump (maybe bigger) and through an Oceans Motions 4-way (yellow box), and return over the back of the tank (pink lines).
Then CL #1 remains the same (red), with one 2" drain in the center, returning through the four 1.5" holes in back of tank (dark purple). I was thinking I could add another Oceans Motions 4-way (yellow box) here to create even more random flow.

Thus there would be constant flow coming from the return form the sump, and the two CL systems with random flow via the Ocenas Motions. I think this would create enough constant flow, keep things random, and suck all kinds of crap off the bottom, while keeping my LPS and SPS happy as well.

LMK what you guys think. I'm open for all ideas, concerns and suggestions. This is the first time I'll be implementing a CL, and theres not that much info about CL's going through the bottom, so I'm looking for some input.

BTW, heres a link to my tank thread for pictures if that helps: http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59530

·
Registered
4,770 Posts

I would put the blue and yellow pumps on a wavemaker, then put a scwd on the pump in red, this way it would give you some really diverse currents in your tank.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a good idea, but I want to eliminate having the blue and yellow being separate CL's. My intial thought was to just link the drains for CL #2 (blue) and CL #2 (yellow) into a DART pump and then have a "T" on the return feeding both the returns for the blue and yellow CL's, thus creating half the flow on the bottom, and only requiring one pump.

SCWD only do a two-way split, so in the previous owners design it would've been effective. If you look at the new idea drawing, it has a four-way Oceans Motions on the red CL #1 for random flow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts