Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clownfish are getting ready to spawn for the 2nd time. Being new parents, they did a fantastic job taking care of the eggs. I am just thinking of trying to raise the fry this time. What is the best place to get phyto and roti startup cultures? If I finally decide, I would also buy otohime as 2nd food.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
florida aqua farms, i am purchasing from them this weekend, you can see my thread about it if you want to join in, its in the group ordering section.

·
Registered
563 Posts
My clownfish are getting ready to spawn for the 2nd time. Being new parents, they did a fantastic job taking care of the eggs. I am just thinking of trying to raise the fry this time. What is the best place to get phyto and roti startup cultures? If I finally decide, I would also buy otohime as 2nd food.
Go here. You'll get the things you order the next day.

Rotigrow® Products | Reed Mariculture

·
Registered
6 Posts
pic pic pic

I am a enthusiast of clown fish.
Althought i still have no tank.
but i will work hard to make enough money to get one.
much more need to buy.(pump,light,filter)

Could u plz take some pics of your clown fishes?

I especially love the clown fish -----NEMO on the movie.:victory:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mike:
Here is a video of my tank.

I am a enthusiast of clown fish.
Althought i still have no tank.
but i will work hard to make enough money to get one.
much more need to buy.(pump,light,filter)

Could u plz take some pics of your clown fishes?

I especially love the clown fish -----NEMO on the movie.:victory:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welll.. here is how my first attempt of raising clownfish went.

Eggs hatched on the 8th day
Caught about 100 fry from the main tank simply by scooping them out
Day 1: Fed Rotifers. Massive die off within 24 hrs. I lost about 40 fry.
Day 2: Lost about 20 fry
Day 3: Lost about 10 fry
Day 4: Rotifer culture crashed. No food for the fry. More dead. Added otohime and fry are too small to eat oto. :(
Day 5: Suddenly remembered that I can feed them bbs. But, it took 24 hrs for them to hatch.
Day 6: Few more died because they are weak due to lack of nutrition.
Day 8: Miraculously 11 survived through meta.
Day 9: Now I have 11 little nemos. Most have head stripe. One even sporting the 2nd stripe.

Little ones are occupying different sections of the tank and they are really tiny. One is already territorial and chases others from his home corner. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This video taken when they were 2 weeks old. Now they are little more than 3 weeks and doing very well. Nice little cute clowns hosting my fake nem (toy from dollar store).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Clowns fish

Congratulations !

I have clowns fish laying eggs many tines in my tanks . one on 90 gallons and the other on 195 gallons . eggs are attached to the rock and I can see they are developing but they still attach to the rocks. I don't know when the hatch and how to get them off the main tank.

Could you tell how to get them off the main tank ?

Thank you.
Phil

·
Registered
653 Posts
Congratulations !

I have clowns fish laying eggs many tines in my tanks . one on 90 gallons and the other on 195 gallons . eggs are attached to the rock and I can see they are developing but they still attach to the rocks. I don't know when the hatch and how to get them off the main tank.

Could you tell how to get them off the main tank ?

Thank you.
Phil
The eggs should hatch about a half hour after lights out. They will be attracted to light so if you use a flashlight once they hatch you can siphon them out. Mine lay on a PVC T that I put in, but I can't get eggs to hatch yet :(

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Try placing a clay flower pot next to where they are laying. Scooping actually reduces the numbers of survivors from trauma, your best bet is to remove the eggs the night before hatch and move them to a seperate larval tank. With a flower pot or tile, its easy to remove it.

If you can, check out Wilkerson's book "Clownfishes", it will walk you through step by step.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My clowns laid there fry in a conch shell, they also live in the shell. So when they laid the eggs I would just remove the shell when it was time for them to hatch. I would transfer them to a hatching tank I had set up. But mine never made it passed 3 days so I gave up after several attempts. They still lay them wish I could have had success raising them. Phil if they are on the rocks depending on size you might remove like I would on the 8th day I believe. If not you have to wait till then on 8 th day when the light goes off wait about a half hour and shine a light in tank they will hatch and come to the light. Then catch with a fine net. Hope you have success!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts