Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know network engineer would be under computer engineer, but I don't know why I put both in the title :D.If you have a job title in any of the titles I listed in the title, could you please shoot me a pm??? I just have some questions about these jobs.The questions I will ask are for personal use, not for a school project or etc. It would help me a lot if you can pm me.
Thanks for your time.

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
He's asking about things such as what your job title is, what you do, how you like it, what kind of education you need, who you interact with, what kind of payscale do you have etc..... My reply was 500 char too large for the message so I'm just gonna post it here, feel free to chime in tntviper1...

Most of the titles you posted are specific titles different companies use, but could mean something else at another company. And each job you do varies from job to job, for example, in my current job I look at screens with monitoring software to make sure networks at manufacturing sites are up and running globally. If something fails then I have to use my skill set to help them come up, that involves calling people, doing my own troubleshooting and the processes that were laid out for this position. In the same company I could go to another contract and do something similar but it would be different. Basically you're going to have engineers, they will be the ones who write up changes that need to be done and go through the grunt work of making sure things should work on paper, you have ops people, like me, who actually implement those changes, do troubleshooting when things fail, and you have people who are coders, who write code in various languages, be it a web language, c, java, asp, etc... and they will spend hours a day looking at this code making sure everything is working. In most of these jobs you're going to be sitting, A LOT. If you're field service you'll be moving around but still in anything IT you're going to be looking at a computer for the majority if your time. And everything is dependant on your current position. For mine because it's global I speak to people in all parts of the world, some are a holes, some are nice, it's just how people are. I consider my pay nice, I did not have to go to college for my position, it requires a certification, I went the cisco route, to do networking, CCNA in michigan can expect around 40-60k range, CCNP can expect 50-90k and so on, I have some microsoft certifications as well. With these certs you have to recertify every so many years dependant on the cert, cisco is generally every 3 years. I use math to a degree but again, depends on your job, with my certs i know had to learn to convert decimal to binary to hex and back between all of them as I'm in networking.

In all for your education, if you're in IT, more is better, cert is king. Your college degree or education will help but it will not land you a job. I have too many friends who went for 4-6 years graduated and then couldn't find anything with their diploma, so they had to finally listen to me and get a cert. Certs in IT will put you on the radar for the job searches and are key words that managers look for. If you are going up against someone with the same resume but you have the diploma, then you will probably have the edge depending on how the interview went. So do some research on the certs out there, you can start now hammering some of them out, as they really aren't that hard, just need to apply yourself, and when you get them, don't stop learning and getting more, because it will make you more valuable, and having more value than what you're getting paid is very good, and will give you that competitive edge.

Dan

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much for giving me all this information. I just wanted to know this stuff, so I could know what I should prepare for. Thanks agian.

-Brandon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts