Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the process of finishing our basement (home was built in 2016) and with that comes the build out of the aquarium room.

I would love to get some feedback or a few fellow reefers over (adult beverages) for some input on how to setup room, and create the most efficient use of the space. Specific to water changes, maintenance, etc.

I've attached a few pictures of the current setup. This will be a ground up build.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the comments and I hope it keeps them out of trouble for many years.

What would be your dream equipment list for this setup? I have 4x ReefTech Marine LED lights "Poseidon", but everything else is TBD.

If anyone is near Hudsonville and would be willing to share their knowledge on do's and don'ts of a build this size, I would love to connect.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great question and I should have discussed this.

My dream with this build is to host a balance of SPS, LPS, and fish. With a young family (two sets of twins), I want to be able to share this unique hobby with them. Obviously, I want to build this out so the maintenance is as hassle free/seemless as possible.

I'm been speaking with Steve from Bashsea about sum/equipment build for the space.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I doubt you'll need a chiller. LED's put out very little heat, and your tank will be in a basement which tends to run cooler anyways. I've had tanks upstairs with t-5's and on the rare days when it got to hot I'd float frozen water bottles in the sump. Maybe happened twice in years.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I agree about the chiller. Probably unnecessary, especially with the tank in the basement (mine is too).

Bashsea seems like a good choice for equipmement.

Not familiar with the lights but my only recommendation is to have more light than you need. That way you can run them at lower intensities, which SHOULD give you longer diode life and reduce the time the cooling fan is required. It also ensures that you can put in whatever type of corals you chose.

Other than that, you will love having a basement tank/sump. Make sure to have a floor drain so you can do water changes straight into it (and for spills). A utility sink is obviously a necessity. Some bench space for fragging and DIY will also be very helpful. And storage shelves.

For the RO and saltwater, it's not necessary to keep them connected at all times. In fact, this will eliminate stagnant water left in the pipes. My containers are always in the same place but I hook mine up as necessary and it is a super easy process. Having those dedicated containers is a VERY nice feature and I would never go back.

Looking forward to the build!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update....

Steve from Bashsea has been a rockstar and set the family up with the below custom sump & fuge.

Custom signature series 48 x 30 x 18 sump
Custom series 48 x 24 x 16 fuge that will be tied into sump

I would love to hear about controllers and automation equipment others love and use.

Thank you again for the guidance during this build out!

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you are on a septic tank system I recommend setting your drain for water changes into your sump to keep the salt out of your drain field. Same with your softener if you are on a well. I dug a dry well that my sump pumps into to safely drain the high salt water away underground away from my drain field.

I also agree about the chiller, not needed in a basement.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good info, we're on city sewer and water. I do have a floor drain in the room for future disaster avoidance and water changes. I also have a utility sink in the room we could drain into.

Love to hear about Michigan reefers are handling water changes without touching a bucket:)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I use a 55 gal drum for wc. I put a t off the tank sump return plumbed to the drain for quick wc. Of course vacuuming sand is by hand. Bought a cheap pump for outdoor ponds to pump from barrel to tank on refil. Not automatic but cheap.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update on Build ~ Plumbing Next

As we lock into an arctic freeze, I thought I would seek input on who in West Michigan has experience plumbing larger builds. I have the sump on the floor at the moment, but plan to have on stand, with quarantine tank below it.

- Currently have three outlets for overflow (possibly ad a fourth)
- Plumb in refuge
- Plumb in sump
- Plumb in tanks (water change and top off)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Wow amazing tank! Dream build for sure.

Have you thought about using MH instead of LED for a tank this size? Or MH with LED as supplemental.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts