Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my first copperband butterfly, looked awsome at the store, got him home and he looks to have two white spots, was told it could be from stress, hasent got any worse, just two spots on rear tail, but to make it worse he is not eating, or not eating what im feeding ( frozen mysis shrimp and sometimes fresh squid) my clowns are little pigglets and no signs of anything,, the butterfly dose pick at my rocks but nothing i put in the tank ?? picked him up sat night its now tuesday, he has to be hungry ,, any sugesstions????????????????????

dont want to lose him << might set up a q/t tank

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
They are Very finicky fish. I've had horrible luck with them and have given up trying. In my experience, if they get the least bit stressed out they stop eating, and that's not good. I'd say try to feed a lot and try to get him to eat something. If you can get him to eat you might have a chance.

Good Luck!:)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
casey1983 said:
just got my first copperband butterfly, looked awsome at the store, got him home and he looks to have two white spots, was told it could be from stress, hasent got any worse, just two spots on rear tail, but to make it worse he is not eating, or not eating what im feeding ( frozen mysis shrimp and sometimes fresh squid) my clowns are little pigglets and no signs of anything,, the butterfly dose pick at my rocks but nothing i put in the tank ?? picked him up sat night its now tuesday, he has to be hungry ,, any sugesstions????????????????????

dont want to lose him << might set up a q/t tank
Do you have any pics? Describe the white spots? White spots are typically not a result of stress coloration and are a common sign of pathogens.

These guys can be tougher to get feeding initially. Often times you can have luck with stuff like mysis, arctipods, bloodworms, or whole clams. In addition, they will almost always eat tube worms on live rock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
K

K ive tryed the garlic,, nothing really happens his buddys are two clowns he dose pick at rocks still trying to get a pic he wont hold still there on the back tip of the tail thats it nowhere else

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
still kickin

hes still going and going strong, still wont eat anything i put in the tank?? and the spots are still there, and no where else so it cant be getting worse right??

G

·
sounds like the guy is eating tube worms or somthing in your tank is it looking skinny at all if so then it is possible that it is starving but slowly

also have you tried any fresh raw shrimp finely cut

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Did you see him eating before you bought him? If not, don't buy a fish without seeing him eat first in the future. I would also ask the shop where you bought it why they didn't tell you when you bought it.

I think the most obvious food he would go for would be aiptasia and live amphipods. See if you can find any from someone local. I am sure someone out there has aiptasia they would gladly donate to your cause.... just don't end up with a tankful of aips and a dead butterfly, that would not be cool. Most of them I have had eat live amphipods when available, but you have to have 100s of them available, frozen mysis offered in small amounts many times a day would be a good idea too. Many fish go two- three weeks without eating any prepaired foods with few ill effects after import. If those spots are spreading at all you want to get the QT tank running ASAP. I would find a UV unit to borrow if you can as it is. Good luck.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had one b4 and fed him frozen brine soaked in garlic. If you lose him(hopefully you don't obviously) but if u do, b4 u buy another one make the guy feed him to make sure he is eating at the store. Thats wat I did and everything worked out fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
he ate

ok i got him to eat, i had to wing him off live to the frozen now after the 3rd day of mixing live with frozen,, hes fully on frozen, thank god because im got going to the pet store every weekend

1 - 13 of 13 Posts