Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my question, I have a mixed reef tank, primarily SPS and I am looking at everyones tanks in envy as mine does not seem to have that "pop" of color. I see the same corals in my tank as others (since most have come from their colonies hehe) but I dont understand whats going on. I have a 150w HQI with 2 64w PC actinics over a 60g cube (24x24x24) all SPS corals are in the top 12" of the tank for the best light intensity, is there something else that could be doing this? I have a Euroreef RS135 skimmer on it working beautifully, my calc is 450 or so, salinity 1.023, nitrate 10, nitrite, 0, phos 0, ammonia 0, only thing i dont know off the top of my head is pH. Could this be causing it? Any help would be superb. Just to mention all the corals are growing GREAT. Healthy, all polyps healthy and out, eating well, really growing fantastic, I just dont know if the pictures are playing tricks on my horrid eyesight or if I am lacking color. Thanks everyone for your input!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts

let's see a FTS, maybe it where the corals are...

ok, I think the additions of some GSP would be nice and cheap, it would give a nice green pop, then you can get some blue tubs, or maybe some fire and ice, those zoos are fairly cheap also and would give a nice bit of color on the rockscape.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
GSP would look pretty sweet on some of that branching tonga, besides give it time most of the tanks you see on here have been set up a long time, from the looks of your coraline growth your tank hasn't been set up for too long.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have GSP on the right side of the overflow growing along the back :) Should look pretty cool as a backdrop.

Bulb I am using the one that came with the Current USA Outer Orbit system 10K 150 watt HQI it is less than 2 weeks old. Magnesium and Alk i have to double check so I will let you know when i do. What is a "goal" to hit on these as I'm not positive for SPS's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
408 Posts
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php
This will tell you the water parameters you should keep your reef tank at.
Make sure your only looking at the critical parameters, you don't really need to test the other parameters.
I didn't see that your nitrates were 10ppm when I read the post for the first time. I think you should do some water changes to bring down your nitrates. I don't think that 10ppm reading is affecting the corals too much, but it could be stressing the corals a bit. Has your nitrates been higher in the past????
-Brandon

·
Registered
285 Posts
cube

I like the cube, that'll be my next choice too. If your tank has'nt been up for very long I think color will come in time. I look back at my first couple month photos and say oh my...So dull and boring looking, and I was so happy when I just had rock and a couple fish. A year later and it's bloomed like a rainbow

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to clarify its not the tank itself that i'm concerned about its the corals currently in it. I am trying to improve their color, not so much whats going to be in the tank :) Thanks all!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Alk seems to have a lot to do with it. More fish, also. They seem to feed on the waste from the fish. I got some advise from an reliable acro guy when I started keeping the sticks he said if you don't get the color just add 4 fish. seemed to work.

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
slapshot said:
Alk seems to have a lot to do with it. More fish, also. They seem to feed on the waste from the fish. I got some advise from an reliable acro guy when I started keeping the sticks he said if you don't get the color just add 4 fish. seemed to work.
Slapshot, so your saying the poop = good nutrients for the corals.

That would make alot of sence and its a natural feed for the corals.

Thanks for the insight.

Have a good night... more fish, more fish, more poop, more poop.

Better looking corals.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
alvieman said:
Just to clarify its not the tank itself that i'm concerned about its the corals currently in it. I am trying to improve their color, not so much whats going to be in the tank :) Thanks all!
IMO, to improve the color of the SPS, use a higher K bulb like a 14/15k bulb.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Slapshot, I really disagree with the guy who told you that also. More poop, more food for fish, more nitrates, more ammonia.
-Brandon

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went with the 10K for growth rate, so essentially what i'm looking at is to expect the growth to be alright however not the color to be top notch yet?

I have pleanty of fish, to me it seems you wouldnt want it feeding on the waste, from the research i've done it seems SPS want the cleanest possible water, not dirtier water? Just what I've read, regardless I supplement feed 3 times a week with roti-feast so nutrients shouldnt be an issue. I'll have to check my water parameters tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the input!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
corals are animals and Need to be fed. I totally agree with the fish theory.... I got crazzzzy tangs, anthias, clowns and wrasses in my tank. I feed well and skim heavy. In addition. I think your salinity is a tad low. I would bump it up to 1.025... It has worked real well for me. I would dump you PC actinics and replace them with good T5 or VHO actinics. Lots and lots of flow as well.

How long has the SPS been in your tank. from my observation, most corals loose some color from being fragged. It will take a good month or two to color up after fragging.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Could we see a few photos? Without some idea of whether or not what you're seeing is normal, or if the corals do indeed look a bit 'off' it's hard to have any idea if any suggestions even can lead to improvement ;)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blue Milli

Green Milli

Green Slimer

I have to say after taking the Pix and looking at them on the comp they look better (except the blue milli). Maybe its the 1080p monitor thats been playing the tricks on me. However they have been in the tank only a few weeks at best so it definitely could still be due to fragging. I actually didnt think too much about that. Regardless I would love input as to how to keep coloration high and bright. Thanks everyone for your input its greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
The bottom two look just fine. The top one I would just give some time. Getting fragged and moved often causes a lot of nice colors to disappear for a few weeks or so. Also, how long has the tank been setup? I ask because I don't see much coralline on the rocks...or much else for that matter.

Chris

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tank was originally setup in a 75g for about 7 months before the move to the 60g cube. It was established for an extended period of time but was for a decent amount. The lack of coraline is due to the new tank and new angle most of the rocks are at, they dont have a ton to begin with but was filling in nicely until the move, obviously the tank will basically start over. I brought over about 80% of the water which tested perfect for the swap and the other 20% was fresh so essentially a water change for the switch. Went to a bigger and better skimmer as well and it works beautifully. I'm gonna test it again tomorrow against more parameters to make sure i'm close to within range.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts