Michigan Reefers banner

Would you prefer to buy Coral: From a breeder or directly from the sea?

• From a breeder

Votes: 56 94.9%
  • Direct from the sea

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 2 3.4%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not know the correct terminology of this but would you prefer corals from a coral breeder or directly from them gathering them from the sea?
Save our reef or no?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Breeder purchased corals are generally called "aquacultured" or "captive-bred" corals. Others caught from the wild are just that....wild corals.

I prefer aquacultured myself. Why take from nature when you can grow your own??

G

·
I would rather know the conditions that the corals i was buying came. usually aquacultured corals are a little hardier.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
The term "Aqua Cultured" can be very misleading, some if not most are still grown in the Ocean on coral farms, they usually have the same issues as wild caught, pests and less of a chance of surviving tank conditions. I prefer to get frags or colonies that are tank raised, atleast that way you have a good chance of it surviving since it has been proven to grow under tank conditions.

·
Registered
285 Posts
With this question in mind and most answered aquacultered. Where do the majority of the corals come from that are in our local fish stores?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Aquacultured or maricultured would be my answer. It supports local island economies and is good for our hobby in the long run. I really don't like buying wild caught. Most of the corals I see now in the stores is aquacultured. I have a patience problem ;) so frags are not my first choice.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
Captive-grown corals and Captive-bred fish whenever possible. The less impact the hobby has on the environment, the better.

I was impatient when I started out. Once I saw that I could actually "grow" things I had a much easier time being patient.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
SAVE A REEF, GROW YOUR OWN!!!

I strongly believe in protecting the coral reefs, and since we all love them so much, an easy, effective way of helping is by purchasing aquacultured (captive propagated, generally on large scale), maricultured (coral farm in the ocean) or captive/tank raised corals (generally refers to hoobyist/store grown frags). Generally they are more hearty, better colors, grow faster and don't have as many pests/hitchikers.

This was posted on another thread on MR, it pertains to fish, but this helps keep hobbyists aware that we do have an effect on wild reefs:
http://www.seashepherd.org/editorials/editorial_070814_1.html

I love seeing that over 97% of voters so far prefer buying coral from a breeder! AWESOME!!! (Now lets get that to 100%, apply it, and we'll be helping the reefs!)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
jeffrey750 said:
With this question in mind and most answered aquacultered. Where do the majority of the corals come from that are in our local fish stores?
Yes all corals obviously came to be in the oceans. Most local fish stores actually buy aquacultured stuff. The reason aquacultured is better is becasue these corals will already be acclimated to aquarium conditions.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Onlycrimson said:
Yes all corals obviously came to be in the oceans. Most local fish stores actually buy aquacultured stuff. The reason aquacultured is better is becasue these corals will already be acclimated to aquarium conditions.
Where do Bali aquacultured come from?

·
Registered
308 Posts
In my order of preference:

1) Aquacultured (grown in tanks)
2) Maricultured (grown in the ocean but not taken from a reef)
3) Wild (taken directly from reef to my tank)

I own no wild caught corals currently. All my stuff has been aqua/maricultured.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Kenbow19 said:
Where do Bali aquacultured come from?
OK I can't help myself sorry Ken.....Ahhh Bali. Really Bali Aquacultured is really Bali Maricultured. Coral farms in Bali is the non smart @$$ answer you want.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
In our case, about 70% of our corals are aquacultured, with almost all of them being produced in-house in our prop facility. There are a few maricultured things, but mostly the maricultured stuff is used as mother colonies for what then becomes truly aquacultured frags.

There's also chop-shopping. This is chopping up a big wild colony and selling it as frags. This is certainly not aquaculture, but there's nothing wrong with it as long as the pieces aren't claimed to be aquacultured. I do a lot of "chop-shopping with benefits", which is my term for chopping a piece and then allowing the frags to actually encrust and grow before putting them up for sale. I wouldn't call those aquacultured. However, if the mother colony regrows and yields more frags down the road, those would legitimately be called aquacultured. At least that's my opinion.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Burks made a really good clarification - maricultured are grown in the ocean, but not taken from reefs - they are fragged and grown for captive use. Aquacultured is what many of you get from local reefers - its grown in aquarium conditions.

Aquacultured is best imo, its used to aquarium conditions and lighting, therefore its less likely to lose any color. The maricultured birdsnests that I have gotten in the past have lost color, while other birdsnests I have that were captive-grown maintained the same color.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
slapshot said:
OK I can't help myself sorry Ken.....Ahhh Bali. Really Bali Aquacultured is really Bali Maricultured. Coral farms in Bali is the non smart @$$ answer you want.
I think that is really what he is getting at. Most stores are not using the correct nomeclature when saying where their corals came from. Almost all stores that I have seen always say Bali (or other region) aquacultured, when it should be maricultured. And obvioulsy from the other posts on this topic, most are believing that when a store says aquacultered it is grown in a tank.
So the biggest thing is getting the stores to start calling them what they are and quit misleading people.

The only good thing IMO, about maricultured corals is they are not destroying the reefs. They come with the same issues that wild caught come with. Pests, disease, brown out.......ect.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
slapshot said:
Yes, Slap that is what i was after, what would make this better than wild captured, as far as tank survival is concerned?

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Maricultured is only slightly better than wild caught b/c it doesn't destroy the reefs to get it. However, it has the same pests as wild caught, and often looses color as our tanks can't replicate the sun or the exact conditions of the ocean. So of the two, true aquacultured is better because you can be pretty sure it will maintain color and thrive if given the right conditions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts