Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75g reef. It has been set up since early last summer. I have about 20 different corals and 7 fish. The problem is, my coralline algae just won't grow!!!!!!!!!!! My calcium is almost to 420 now and I'm looking to get it up a little over 450. I am getting pretty good growth from my sps, but there is no new growth what so ever from the coralline, and I even had a few nicely covered pieces of live rock that I bought and it is slowly dying off! I don't understand why this is happening. I know phosphate inhibits the growth of Coralline, but I have no trace of phosphates in my tank! Any ideas?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My alk is usually around 9.5 dkh and I don't have a magnesium test kit, but I've been adding my calcium through reef complete, which is supposed to maintain the Magnesium.

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
I would double check the alk level-it sounds like it may be low. What are you using for alk testing and supplementation? Reef Complete does not raise alkalinity. Supplementing calcium without supplementing alk can throw things out of balance.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know. I'm using the alk bart of B-ionic to maintain the alk. I'm using the salifert test kit. I'll go test for it right now.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I just tested my alk and it was a little higher than I thought. It measured to about 10.3 dKH. Thats high enough isnt it?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Maybe the light?

I have the same setup as you(75 gal), and had the same problems as far as coralline not growing, and dying off. The problem with mine was that coralline does not like real intense light, and it prefers light more toward the blue spectrum. What lights do you have??
In my tank, i found plenty of coraline in the more shaded areas, or the spots that were getting light mostly from my actinic bulbs (I have t-5s). I recently went a bit bluer in my bulb choices, and have noticed a big difference already.

-Dan

·
Registered
191 Posts
MandarinMan13 said:
Ok so I just tested my alk and it was a little higher than I thought. It measured to about 10.3 dKH. Thats high enough isnt it?
yea from there to twelve sounds optimal. they key though, is maintaing those levels for some period of time from what i understand. gorwth is sually around a few monthes with optimal qualities and steady levels maintained, from what i understand. there could be more to it though. lighting plays a role as well. check nitrite levels.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nitrite is nothing, my lighting is 2 x 175 wt 10k MH and 2 x 65 PC atinics. My calcium has been around at least 400 for about 3 months and my alk has been above at least 9.5 dKH since the tank has been set up.

G

·
Your alk level seem to be fine. Were the rocks with coraline a recent addition? What type of lighting do you have? Testing for phosphates, do you have any nuicance algae in your tank?

·
Registered
554 Posts
The best coralline growth I've ever gotten on any of my tanks was when I had a simple 18w NO bulb on my 29 gallon! So I agree that it seems to prefer less intense light.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have a 75 with 2 175 mhs....i get coraline........my levels sound close to yours.....That is weird...maybe try some purple up and see if that helps...?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lighting was posted above ^^^. I have no detectable phosphates, an I always run phosphate remover. I have a little bit of bubble algae but it is far from being a problem. I tried purple up for about two months! Then I heard some rumors that it has a bad effect on your tank so I stopped. It really didn't make much of a difference at all though!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was thinking about going a little bluer, but unlike many people, I prefer the crisp white color and I like the shimmer the whiter lights give off. I also hear you get better coral growth with 10k. I don't know if I want to go all the way up to a 14k. I think it might be too blue for me.

G

·
There are 2 types of coraline algae...Low light & hight light lovers...I was wondering if the rocks that had Coraline on them were a new addition? or you use to go coraline? If you had low power lights then coraline that likes low light would do great....(most coralines perfer low I believe) If you had a well established Low light coraline & interduced High light, It would prolly survive.....Have you tried to seed your tank with different varietys of Coraline? Do you have any Coraline growing at all?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Keep in mind that the color of bulbs can be different with each manufacturer, I have a 14.5 K Giessman that is very yellowish, I don't like it and I will be replacing it. Coralline will grow with any reef bulb. Magnesium plays a big role, get it tested, it should be 1300 ppm, I dose it 24/7, you don't have to do that, but you do need to keep it in check. Also have another reefer check your levels to make sure your test kits are reliable. You don't have an Urchin do you? I have two Urchins, I don't like coralline and my Urchins help keep it from growing too much, so if you have an Urchin, that could be an issue for you. Doing regular water changes will help keep every thing in line. I dose calcium, alk and mag 24/7, steady levels help corals to grow, up and down levels can cause issues.

Dan

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got half of my live rock by mail from fiji, and almost none of the coralline on that survived, and then the other half came from this guy who was teaering down his tank., He had a 50g and it was olny lighted by two PC. I think this might be the problem.

I think I'm going to get a Magnesium test kit, and was already planning on having another reefer test my water. and no, I don't have an urchin. I usually add calcium and alk every day, I was thinking of making a homemade 2-part calcium and alk additive, and also using epsom salts to maintain magnesium.

G

·
(Taylor Made)-Also have another reefer check your levels to make sure your test kits are reliable...............

definatly have someone else test your water...If you ever have a problem look to do that first...Can save you a lot of time & money to find out your tester is no good!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts