Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run a reef octopus skimmer rated 150 gal tank on a 46 gallon bowfront setup. I have a tank with primarily softies, lps and a montipora. I was considering decreasing the skimming to 6-12 hrs per day. I was inspired to get into this hobby by Muchoreef's tank of the month which was mostly softies and his article said he did a low level of skimming. I also saw an experiment by Leng Sy on youtube where he had great success with skimming only 6 hrs per day.

How much should I skim?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
...I was considering decreasing the skimming to 6-12 hrs per day...How much should I skim?
some variables to consider. How long has the tank been running? What is it you are hoping to achieve that is different from what you are achieving now? Have you tried cutting back to see how your tank responded?

I'd run the skimmer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank has been up for six months. I wonder whether or not I would have healthier tank inhabitants with less skimming.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Why skim less? Too much work to turn it on/off IMO. If you want a dirty tank for softies and lps, feed more

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
You could always try it for a month or two to see how the tank responds. A couple of things to consider.

Are you going to be putting it on a timer? Will you be monitoring it everyday to make sure that the skimmer comes on correctly? A lot of skimmer pumps are notorious for startup issues, and/or the potential to start backwards which effects the output of the skimmer. If you are only going to be running it for a short time everyday you are going to want to make sure that it is running to its peak when it is on.

Another option to consider would be to downsize your skimmer and leave it running 24/7.

You could also try adjusting the skimmer to run extremely dry, which would effectiviely not take as much out of the water.

I say try it and see how your tank responds, but during this trial period watch your water parameters closely as well to make sure nitrates and phosphates are staying in the range you want them too. May take a little playing with it to get everything dialed in where you want.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I run the same skimmer. I have a 90g. I haven't shut it off since I've bought it. My tank is crystal clear and nitrates and phosphate are at 0.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
From everything I understand, and there are lots of variables involved, but you will need to base the level of activity you need versus the amount of skim and qualify of skim.

Wet skimming processes more water, but also pulls out more trace, dry skimming is more concentrated abs doesn't work as much water.

As mentioned above, you could dry skim depending on what it sites now, along with adjustments. If it's constantly producing foam workout lull, I would let it run. If it, at times seems to stop (not when feeding say mysis or oily foods), which is rare, but possible, you "may" be over skimming. The latter is extremely rare though, abs depends on you and tie animals habits.

But most life appreciates the low nutrient environment.

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I guess I don't see a good point to running it for only 6 hours. I do agree that if you want to skim less, just get a smaller skimmer. That would also end up saving you money on energy bills... if that's another goal of yours.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I guess I don't see a good point to running it for only 6 hours. I do agree that if you want to skim less, just get a smaller skimmer. That would also end up saving you money on energy bills... if that's another goal of yours.
I'm with you, I honestly don't either.

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts