Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i first started i bought 2x54w T5 HO retro kit new and put them over a 55g tank. I had some crazy hair algae that i couldn't keep up with. then i upgraded to a 75g with 2x250w MH and never saw it again! now i just added the T5s to the MH and went away for 2 days for work. when i came home i have TONS of algae growing all over glass! the only other thing i changed was i put on an empty canister filter that is putting a lot of micro bubbles in the tank so that could also be causing it?

G

·
I think anytime you add more light you might get a little algae stage...Do you use RO water....HA feeds off of phosphate/nitrates. also were the t5's new or old when you first used them & the kelvin rating on them?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Like mentioned when you increase your lighting you will have more algae bloom. T5s do not cause algae but the increased light might. I would be sure to check phosphates and nitrates and keep these low to aid in controlling hair algae. Now that you have it you may need to manually remove it or add something to eat it (urchin maybe?).

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Many t5 tanks are algae free

as well as many MH tanks have nusense algae as well the two are not related lights K as well as phosphates nitrates are the main contributers what type of bulbs do you have? how long have you had them? and what brand?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts