Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that there is a crack in the top frame of my aquarium. I don't know how long it has been there but I don't like the thought of a wet basement. Is this something I need to be worried about?

Any ideas how should I fix it?
I was thinking a hard piece of plastic bonded to the existing brace with a 2-part epoxy across the crack.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
That sounds like it would work to me.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Is this a glass or acrylic aquarium? If its acrylic i would just cut a new top brace and use some weld on #4 to bod it together. Infact this is probably the way to do it if it is glass as well. The weld on will have a stronger bond then the epoxy.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yeah, the Weld-on would work a lot better than epoxy. If its acrylic and if you want, shoot me a PM and I can work you something up to fix it. May not be the prettiest solution, but if its on the top of the tank and you have a canopy, we can figure out how to keep it hidden.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Mine is a bit cracked aswell :( Where could I get a piece of plastic or what kind should i use? I have an 18.5" span

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
How big is the tank? I cut out most of my braces depending on size of tank, most importantly how high it is. 18" or shorter I cut it out on 50 gallons or smaller. I had a 75 that was 18" high for a couple years that didn't have a brace when I bought it, and never had any problems, however I wouldn't cut one out of anything larger than 50gal.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just broke mine and I took a piece of 1/4" Acrylic and used Weld on 16 to bond it to the top of the old brace. Then I put for screws down through it in a line. I probably could have got away with just the weldon but I did not want to take any chances.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts