Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 125 is coming along okay other then hair algae and I guess I should be glad its hair vice cyano... Ive been looking at beefing up my CUC now that my tank has been going since Turkey day... I have four fish and my CUC consists of 6 Mexican turbo snails, 12 Astra, and 12 hermit crabs. According to the web sites recommended CUC size Im Waaaayyy understaffed!:3195: I have a hard time believeing that I need 50 snails, 80 hermits, and 25 scarlet hermits...!! wow... Now I have been told that you lose a snail or two to a hermit carb if he wants a new house... but **** this seems like alot of critters.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I guess there are a lot of opinions about this as there is with just about everything in this hobby but I wouldn't feel compelled to add more critters than you have unless you really want to. That is, I don't think you really need to add more or that by adding more you'll see any appreciable difference. In all the tanks I've had I hardly had any "clean-up crew". I'm guessing that the pollution they cause from dying probably off-sets much of their benefit. But that is just a guess.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I think that it can vary drastically with a CUC from tank to tank. The more LR you have, the more fish and how much you feed the more of a CUC you are going to want. For instance in my tank which is 90 gallons and has approximately 120lbs of LR (had about 180lbs), I have approximately 150 different snails including\ Nerite snails, Astrea snails, Cerinth snials, Dwarf Cerinth snails, Dwarf Planaxis snails, Nassaruis snails; probably 50 different hermits including Red Leg hermits, Blue leg hermits, Orange hermits, Scarlet hermits, 4 Fuzzy Chittons, 1 emerald crab, 1 Sandsifting star, not to mention all the other little snails, mini brittle stars, mini stars and whatever else has grown or been added via LR and coral introduction over time.

When it comes to hermits, it is best to put in various size shells ranging from there current size to twice there size. From what I have seen, hermits will switch shells quite often and will pull other hermits and snails out of there shell just to inspect it to see if they want it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.