Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious about different peoples methods of cleaning their tank. Please share your methods with me. Do you vacuum the sand bed and if so what are the specifics? just share some facts. Want to see if I am doing everything correctly.

·
Registered
620 Posts
i usually just clean the front glass (and sometimes the sides.) I think coralline algae growth on the back glass doesn't look half bad, and is a sign of good water levels. As far as vacuuming substrate? Personally, I don't make it a practice. As said before, it's easy to suck your sand right out of the tank if you use the fine sand. Also, in a tank with livestock that you're feeding... the sand bed is often FILLED with detritus that when stirred up can cause spikes in your ammonia and nitrate levels.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
If you have sand you shouldn't need to vacuum your tank. If you have a shallow sandbed you can vacuum it. However if you have a DSB (Deep Sand Bed) I strongly suggest not vacuuming it. Disturbing a DSB is very bad, and can cause the tank to crash.

If you want a successful reef tank with sand, I suggest hermit crabs and nassarius snails. They keep the sand clean so you don't have to worry so much about it.

(I emphasized can, because I am sure some person will jump on and say they do it all the time with no ill affects. Sort of like bungee jumping... eventually the cord snaps.)

EDIT: Crushed coral should be vacuumed.
Bare Bottom may need to be vacuumed depending upon pump placement and waterflow.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
If you have sand you shouldn't need to vacuum your tank. If you have a shallow sandbed you can vacuum it. However if you have a DSB (Deep Sand Bed) I strongly suggest not vacuuming it. Disturbing a DSB is very bad, and can cause the tank to crash.

If you want a successful reef tank with sand, I suggest hermit crabs and nassarius snails. They keep the sand clean so you don't have to worry so much about it.

(I emphasized can, because I am sure some person will jump on and say they do it all the time with no ill affects. Sort of like bungee jumping... eventually the cord snaps.)

EDIT: Crushed coral should be vacuumed.
Bare Bottom may need to be vacuumed depending upon pump placement and waterflow.
+1 to this
I clean my front glass and part of the left side as I have LR stacked up against the glass, I use a mag float and occasionally scrape coraline with a razor blade.. I have been doing bi weekly water changes. I dont not syphon my sand bed at all. However, I will take a turkey baster every couple water changes and blow in all the nooks and crannies of the LR stirring all the settled debris up prior to syphoning out the water.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I did not mean vacuum the sand by disturbing it like a gravel cleaner does, but if I can see anything sitting on top of my sand bed I do siphon it off disturbing as little sand as possible. The snails digging around do keep it pretty clean.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
i do not disturb my sand bed, i have hermits, snails, crabs, shrimp, and starfish that all move across the sand and that does it for me.
i do 20% biweekly water changes. and i clean the front and side glass almost daily, or as needed. and i scrape the coraline of the corners af the glass monthly, or when company is coming over.lol

i also blow sediments off rocks before my water change.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I change about 20% of the water 5 times a year or so and every couple of years I use a diatom filter and blow around the gravel. (I don't have a DSB)
Then about every ten years I remove some rock and stir the gravel better. After 30 years I removed most of the rock and stirred the gravel even more. Now I am good for 15 or more years. :wacko:

Thats about my maintenance.

·
Registered
180 Posts
10% water change every week. Scrape glass with plastic card and/or scrub with a toothbrush ONLY used in my reef. Pull out my floss, ring it over a sink while saying "oh gross". Rinse phos bag, clean out skimmer. 10% water change making sure to get the tube around pumps to get gunk out from under it and around the edges.

Pull up a chair every two weeks and turkey baste holes in LR like crazy. Baste around the glass edges. When I can't see anymore I let it settle. The I gently blow off top of rocks and corals. Let it settle for a while. Then do paragraph above.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.