Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cyano mystery that I hope you guys can help me with. I have been battling it for a while. I did a Nitrate and Phosphate test and both came back at zero.

I have a 150 gallon tank with a 55 gallon sump. It is not heavily stocked and I don't feed heavily. I have a RO unit that needs some maintenance. It has a TDS reading of 20 which I didn't think was high enough to make much of a difference. I run T5 lighting at about 6 hours a day. The bulbs are about 2 months old. I was considering vodka dosing because I thought I had a high level of phosphates but the numbers are coming back at zero. I have included a picture of the cyano. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
wow. that a lot of cyano. you may still want to find ways to cut down on nutrients, they may read zero, but they are zero while sustaining all that cyano. you want to limit it so that it actually kills off the cyano. do you have a refugium, that would help a bit. how much flow do you have in your tank, dead spot cause cyano too, you need consistently random flow to prevent outbreaks like this. how frequent and how large are your water changes, these are key. are you overfeeding? have you tried chemiclean, it may be harsh but it works for me. biopellet reactors are very effective at controlling the amount of nitrate you allow into your system, but are costly. my main suggestion is start dosing with a competing bacteria for now, many use Microbacter 7. works good for me.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
+1 to the above. Need to find the source. I would look at replacing your RODI filters, that probably isn't helping the issue any.

·
Registered
414 Posts
+1 - Vodka has helped my Cyano problem, but only to treat it after the source has been eliminated. Your test kits will read zero because the Cyano is consuming the phosphates.

Some other suggestions:

Microbacteria 7 + Vodka (never personally used the MicroBact)
Check your RO filters - test phosphates out of the RO - I'd change those filters with TDS at 20
Mechanical removal - suck that stuff out of there
Chemiclean is good too, but you should only use it once and have a QT if you can

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only thing I can think of that is causing it is the food I am using. I am using store bought cubed food. I wondering if I switch to making my own food if that would introduce less phosphates.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I know others will disagree, but I have used antibiotics in the past to kill this stuff. I believe I use eurythramyacin. I know it can kill 'good' bacteria as well so there is a risk. In my case I just could not get rid of it. I used about 1/4 the recomended dose and I cleared it up and never came back. They also sell red slime remedies at the LFS that are specifically made to treat this. With that much to deal with, I would get rid of it and then work at keeping it away with maintenance. Just my 2 cents. I haevread that this is not just an algae but also a type of bacteria.

let the differing opinions begin

·
Registered
153 Posts
well i have had the same issue and i was using the store bought cube food then i went to home made food with RO water but it just kept popping up never would stay away no matter what i did . so i went to the lfs and picked up some , Boyd Enterprises 009726 Chemi-Clean

and it has not came back since .knock on wood lol
:secret:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I started a chemi clean thread a while back, seemed unanimous that everyone that used it and followed the directions, worked like a charm.

Your skimmer will go crazy for a couple days after but then ur good

·
Registered
142 Posts
have you tried chemiclean, it may be harsh but it works for me.
ChemiClean is one of the few products that does exactly what it is supposed to do. I have used it for over 20 years and it has never disappointed me. It is not an antibiotic like Red Slime Remover, but an oxidant. I sometimes use it just for the heck of it. Great stuff but I would suck out most of that cyano before I use the stuff because it will all die in 24 hours and be messy.:)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
hey if you are using store bought food, thaw it in water then strain it only keeping the eatable sized chuncks, then resuspend it in tank water then feed, this reduces alot of the waste "juices" that get into your system.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Better yet just stick to pellets and flakes. I have issues with cyano every time I use frozen food. My dwarf angels, 3 tangs, blenny, etc all do just fine with NO frozen food. In fact I rarely feed nori.

I wouldn't trust any kind of phosphate kit, proper testing really does require a meter.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Better yet, Just stop feeding all together and teach your fish to feed off the land like they used to do in the olden days... May the strongest survive......

No I'm only kidding. I'd do a large water change and use chemi clean :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ditto on only feeding fish dry food. Never found a fish that didn't do better on dry food and learned to love it. Fewer water issues.

Maracyn will nuke the cyano in about three days.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Better yet, Just stop feeding all together and teach your fish to feed off the land like they used to do in the olden days... May the strongest survive......:)
lol if this doesn't work I suggest you check into upping your water movement I don't think there's been any mentioned it so far and cyano doesn't like it and it is a bacteria and it's just one of those things than can thrive in our tanks if it gets going.

Believe it or not it loves ulns tanks the best as there is little to compete with it. So the food strategy may or may not work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts