Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some suggestions for ridding my tank of cyanobacteria. I do 10% water change weekly. Tank size is 29 gallons. I have a remora skimmer and aquaclear 50 with phosguard. My last water check was:

pH: 8.2
Nitrate: 10
Phosphate: 0.01
kh: 8
Calcium: 380
Salinity: 1.025

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm working on clearing a bigh cyano explosion myself. I changed to filter bags into the sump, changing every 1-2 days and I tried the 3 day black-out, knocked it down by grew back quickly. I'm finally making progress by limiting feeding to only what is eaten immediately - no excess and only 1 - 2 times per day. The cuc is scavanging more but threre should be plenty of feed for them. I set my skimmer to skim much wetter, pulling about 2 cups per day - lighter brown but just as smelly. This t 2-3X what I was pulling. Cleaning skimmer daily. I'm also doing 20% WC every week, 3 done so far and making sure I vacuum everything out of the sump bottom and about 1/3 of the sand in the DT each week. Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just replaced one of my bulbs about 5 weeks ago (have 2 T5's). The only flow I have is a Tunze 6015 nanostream (I thought I had a larger unit but I guess not). I was going to replace it with another 6015 or larger for more flow. The only thing I can thing of is the length of time the lights are on which is probably about 14 hours a day. I'm guessing this is too much time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.