Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is similar to the algae question below, however I feel its getting out of hand. Within 3 days my 24 nano had been covered in brown algae, then today I get home and the water is looking cloudy. These are my stats as of today: Nitrate 10, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, PH 8.2, SG a little low at 1.019. I just turned my skimmer on as well which has not been running the previous time. In the filter I use sponge, carbon and live rubble. Any idea whats going on? Cycling previous tanks I never seen this before.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Are you using RO or tap water? And, because the volume is small everything effects it faster. At least that has been my experience. I had the problem you are talking about until I switched to RO water, then it was gone.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cowboymark said:
Are you using RO or tap water? And, because the volume is small everything effects it faster. At least that has been my experience. I had the problem you are talking about until I switched to RO water, then it was gone.
Tap water, After the settling of the sand originally it has been crystal clear... untill today.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cowboymark said:
Yeah, sounds familar. Can you get some RO water? Maybe from a friend, another reefer or LFS and try that?
I might have to, but I ran a 75gallon sw tank here before with tap and never had any issues. Ill have to give it a day with the skimmer and see what happens. Im also wondering if I should cut my light cycle down, im only running the stock lights 10 hours.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
My guess is tap water problems. Tap water has alot of additives in it, including phosphates which actually encourage the growth of algae. You can get r/o water at the grocery store cheaply too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts